Jason Moran on Yes Records

relyles

Has anyone heard any of the (now) three digital only releases Jason Moran has on his own label? The first, The Armory Concert, is a solo piano performance. The second, Thanksgiving At The Vanguard, features the longstanding Bandwagon. Just today he released Bangs, which is a trio with Mary Halvorson and Ron Miles. I don't typically purchase download only recordings and $20 each feels like a lot to pay for that format. However, I am generally a fan of Moran's playing, am especially intrigued by the recording with Halvorson and Miles, and I can get myself much more comfortable with the idea if the music is worthwhile.

Hmmmm, yup. I'm just not at the point where i can see a 'download only' release as being a 'proper' release. Happy to acknowledge that as my failing, sincerely. $20 is too much for a download in my opinion although i could be convinced otherwise. I'm a reasonably big Moran fan... if this is it for him going forward, i may have to invest at some point.

I am at the point where I can consider a download only release being a proper release, especially on Bandcamp where you have the option of downloading full resolution files.  If I were an artist today, I probably would be releasing download only also.  It probably just makes more sense artistically (control) and economically.

However, $20.00 is a bit pricey.  Downloads on Bandcamp are usually $11.00 -- the issue for me is not that the releases are not on cd, but the high price point for the downloads.  That being said, I will probably spring for the release with Halvorson and Miles in the near future. 

I'm a luddite when it comes to downloads in general, still.  

I just pre-ordered a signed version of Luna's upcoming cd on Pledge Music.  I'd buy a signed cd from Jason in the same manner if it were offered.

I've also purchased music from Organissimo this way, and board member Soulstream (Mike Flanigin) as well.  Seems like a good business model for artists that aren't Adele or Beyonce.  

I hate -- really hate -- having to keep track of downloads. The idea of having to back-up music I've purchased, and somehow have it survive multiple software and OS upgrades over the next 20-30, or even hopefully 40 years -- seems like insanity.

Though I suppose expecting there'll be machines to play my shiny discs that far in the future is a gamble too.

In any case, anything I download, I expect to only be able to enjoy 5 or maybe 10 years at best.

14 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I hate -- really hate -- having to keep track of downloads. The idea of having to back-up music I've purchased, and somehow have it survive multiple software and OS upgrades over the next 20-30, or even hopefully 40 years -- seems like insanity.

Though I suppose expecting there'll be machines to play my shiny discs that far in the future is a gamble too.

In any case, anything I download, I expect to only be able to enjoy 5 or maybe 10 years at best.

I am also a proud Luddite with my only concern being that when I trade in my leased car for a new model next Spring that the new 2018 Mustang I'm planning on re-upping to from my 2015 Mustang will still have a CD player. If not I'm going custom installation before I do anything fancy with FLAC files, down loads, I Music or whatever else I heard about from somewhere!!

• 7 months later...
On 6/1/2017 at 5:12 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Physical media tends to deteriorate over time; whatever its other demerits, from the perspective of durability a subscription model like Spotify is probably best for listeners.

4 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Physical media tends to deteriorate over time; whatever its other demerits, from the perspective of durability a subscription model like Spotify is probably best for listeners.

As long as Spotify give you access to a particular album in perpetuity (well, as long as you keep paying your bills).

While any of my CD's could get scratched or go belly-up at some point in the next 20+ years -- I don't think the odds are necessarily a whole lot better that Spotify will provide continuous access to any number of relatively obscure recordings that I hold rather dear, over that same time-period.

I mean, Spotify COULD easily provide continuous access to any number of things for a damn long time -- but I'm still skeptical that everything you can listen to today will always be available 10, 20, or 30 years from now.

I like hard copies, if only because that as long ass there's electricity and my hardware works, I have control over what I can get to when I want to get to it. That's true of personal digital storage as well, but if shit ever goes all Gilligan, i think a turntable will be more easily Flintstoned that a hard drive. And frankly, if all I had was the LPs I now have, I could cover most of the stuff I want to cover, at least in broad terms.

I don't care how good it is, in this day and age, selling domestic CDs, particularly self-produced domestic CDs, for $25, is excessive and seems pretty dumb unless the goal is to not sell too many of them. Many new CDs in stores are selling for under $14 (oldies for ~$5) and the used market - forget about it.

I've bought a lot of CDs from artists at shows over the years and the only time I paid over $15 was when Harold Mabern had a few copies of his Japanese Venus CDs. Lately, most artists are selling at shows for $10/CD. $25? Nope.

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I don't care how good it is, in this day and age, selling domestic CDs, particularly self-produced domestic CDs, for $25, is excessive and seems pretty dumb unless the goal is to not sell too many of them. Many new CDs in stores are selling for under $14 (oldies for ~$5) and the used market - forget about it.

I've bought a lot of CDs from artists at shows over the years and the only time I paid over $15 was when Harold Mabern had a few copies of his Japanese Venus CDs. Lately, most artists are selling at shows for $10/CD. $25? Nope.

I agree - BUT I'm still tempted. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

JASON MORAN - THE SOUND WILL TELL YOU [CD]

$24.99

• Image of Jason Moran - The Sound Will Tell You [CD]

The Sound Will Tell You, Moran's 3rd Solo piano recording, was made on January 4-6, 2021. Half of the works use an effect dubbed "DRIP", a filter to allow the sound cast a shadow. The Drip gives the note another gravity. These pieces are marked by "tear", "honey" and "shadow. Moran, from Houston, also recalls DJ Screw's ability to give a song a new sluggish gait. Drawing out the drawl and sinking the beat into the mud. The music moves in slower motion.

Many of the titles refer to Toni Morrison, the author Moran read most frequently during quarantine. She evokes sound often and speaks of the pitch black night as "it may as well be a rainbow." - Song of Solomon.

The Sound Will Tell You is being concurrently released with an exhibition of new works on paper at the Luhring Augustine Gallery in Tribeca, New York. Moran's practice of recording his hand motions on the piano manual creates a variation on the "recording". The attack of the finger on the key leaves a mark and accumulates residue.

A believer in "melody", much like his idols Thelonious Monk and Herbie Nichols, Moran writes pieces that retrace themselves. The songs step into their own footsteps, a choreography of repetition, occasionally disrupting their own dance. Body and Soul remains a piece Moran circles around, this time with a nod to Eddie Kendricks' "Intimate Friends".

For Love was recently heard in the film version of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me, which Moran scored. His dedication to the melody is what pulls this record into another territory, aiming to eliminate the differences between melody and solo. The narrative drives these works.

How much more terrible was the Night highlights America's current state of pandemonium.

▌Track Listing▐ 
01 - Follow The Light 
02 - Spoken In Two (Tear) 
03 - For Love 
04 - My Mother's Handful Of Tea 
05 - Only The Shadow Knows (Honey) 
06 - Body & Soul With Intimate Friends (Shadow) 
07 - Dawns After The Dream 
08 - Bee Mantra (Honey) 
09 - How Much More Terrible Was The Night 
10 - The Only Morning Coming (Tear) 
11 - Hum Then Sing Then Speak 
12 - Toni Morrison Said Black Is A Rainbow (Shadow)

――――――――――――――― 
Credits 
released January 15, 2021

Cover Photo - Ari Marcopoulos 
Recorded on January 4-6, 2021 at: The Bridge Studio, in Brooklyn, NY 
Head Engineer: Amon Drum 
Assistant Engineer: Greg Tock 
Mixing Engineer: Amon Drum 
Mastering: Raven Moran 
Jason Moran is a Steinway & Sons artist.

© All Rights Reserved

►NOTE TO CUSTOMERS: When purchasing multiple items, please contact us directly at yesrecordsorder@gmail.com for a combined shipping discount.◄

New solo piano release.

https://yesrecords.bigcartel.com