BFT #158--The Reveal

Hardbopjazz

I am not getting the album images to format correctly so I am not posting them in the reveal.

01.    Artist Sabertooth – Album Dr. Midnight - Live At the Green Mill – track Odd Couple Theme

Pete Benson- b3, Pat Mallinger- as, Cameron Pfiffner- ts, Ted Sirota- d.

2.       Artist Trio Transition - Album Trio Transition - track 2 Moon Storm

Mulgrew Miller- p, Frederick Waits- d, Reggie Workman- b, Oliver Lake- as

3   03. Artist is me - Title Cracking Open the Dawn

Me on guitar through a synthesizer and piano through exfects.

4   Artist Angles 9 - Album Injuries - Track 4 Ubabba

Alexander Zethson- p, Mattias Ståhl- vib, Johan Berthling- b, Andreas Werliin- d, Magnus Broo, Mats Äleklint- tb, Goran Kajfes- co, Eirik Hegdal- ss, bs, Martin Küchen- as, ts

5   Artist David Fathead Newman - Album House Of David - Track One Room Paradise

David "Fathead" Newman- ts, fl, Ted Dunbar- g, Kossie Gardner- org, Milt Turner- d

6  Artist Hank Jones - Album Have you met Hank Jones? - Track My Song Is Love

Hank Jones – p, The rest of the album with trio and orchestra.

7  Artist Little Milton - Album Grits Ain’t Groceries - Track That’ What Love Will Make You Do

Little Milton- guitar and vocals. The rest of the band not mentioned

8.  Artist JB Diamond voc, and me on guitar. Album reject- Track Miserable Life

9    Artists Biréli Lagrène - Album Gipsy Trio - Track Be My Love

Biréli Lagrène- g, voc, Diego Imbert- b, Hono Winterstein- g, Roberto Alagna- g.

10.  Artist Mary Halvorson -‎ Album Away With You Track Safety Orange

Mary Halvorson :: guitar Susan Alcorn :: pedal steel guitar Jonathan Finlayson :: trumpet Jon Irabagon :: alto saxophone Ingrid Laubrock :: tenor saxophone Jacob Garchik :: trombone John Hébert :: bass Ches Smith :: drums

11.  Artist Randy Weston – Radio broadcast Jazz at the Penthouse Lincoln Center, NYC 1997-01-31 –Track Jitterbug Waltz

12.  Wayne Shorter with the JALC Orchestra Track Teru

Wayne Shorter- ts, ss, Wynton Marsalis- tp, Ryan Kisor- tp, Kenny Rampton- tp, Marcus Printup- tp, Vincent Gardner- tb, Chris Crenshaw- tb, Ekkiot Mason- tb, Sherman Irbu- as, fl,

Ted Nash- as, Victpr Goines- ts, Walter Blanding- ts, Paul Nedzela- bs, Dan Nimmer- p, Carlos Hrntiquez- b, Ali Jackson- d.

13.  Artist David Williams - Album Up Front - Track Let’s Call This

David Williams- b, Cedar Walton- p, Billy Higgins- d

14.  Artist Sylvie Courvoisier - Album Double Windsor - Track Corto

Sylvie Courvoisier- p, Drew Gress- b, Kenny Wollesen- d

15.  Artist Elio Villafranca’s - Letters to Mother Africa – Track King Of The Zulus

Elio Villafrance- p, Billy Harper- ts, David Murry- ts, bcl, Dezron Douglas- b, Lewis Nash- d,

Abdou Mboup- African perc,

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Really apologize for not getting to this one this month, not intentional, I assure you...became a grandfather on the 19th, and the weeks leading to and those following the blessed event have been quite time/thought-occupying! From what I can see here, it was a good set, a good mix of things familiar and less-familiar and a few unknowns, perfect!

Very interesting reveal.  Got more of this than I realized.  Kudos for including your own stuff, even if I kicked you.  Takes a pair to do that and I respect that.  I can't remember the last test that had so much in it that I really dug, though.  I have both the Trio Transition and the Fathead.  I should have gotten Fathead... wish I had a dollar for every time I miss on him.  

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Really apologize for not getting to this one this month, not intentional, I assure you...became a grandfather on the 19th, and the weeks leading to and those following the blessed event have been quite time/thought-occupying! From what I can see here, it was a good set, a good mix of things familiar and less-familiar and a few unknowns, perfect!

Congratulations on becoming a grandpa.  

15 hours ago, tkeith said:

Very interesting reveal.  Got more of this than I realized.  Kudos for including your own stuff, even if I kicked you.  Takes a pair to do that and I respect that.  I can't remember the last test that had so much in it that I really dug, though.  I have both the Trio Transition and the Fathead.  I should have gotten Fathead... wish I had a dollar for every time I miss on him.  

Glad you enjoyed it. The Transition releases are both very good. And Fathead, I thought this one was a easy one. :)

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, Hardbopjazz said:

I am not getting the album images to format correctly so I am not posting them in the reveal.

01.    Artist Sabertooth – Album Dr. Midnight - Live At the Green Mill – track Odd Couple Theme

Pete Benson- b3, Pat Mallinger- as, Cameron Pfiffner- ts, Ted Sirota- d.

I have never heard of this group, but I like this rendition of the TV show theme.

2.       Artist Trio Transition - Album Trio Transition - track 2 Moon Storm

Mulgrew Miller- p, Frederick Waits- d, Reggie Workman- b, Oliver Lake- as

I should have been able to identify this! It is a DIW album that I never picked up, but should have.

3   03. Artist is me - Title Cracking Open the Dawn

Me on guitar through a synthesizer and piano through exfects.

Wow, Thanks for including some of your own work!

4   Artist Angles 9 - Album Injuries - Track 4 Ubabba

Alexander Zethson- p, Mattias Ståhl- vib, Johan Berthling- b, Andreas Werliin- d, Magnus Broo, Mats Äleklint- tb, Goran Kajfes- co, Eirik Hegdal- ss, bs, Martin Küchen- as, ts

I like this a lot, and had never heard of this group. Thanks for introducing them to me.

5   Artist David Fathead Newman - Album House Of David - Track One Room Paradise

David "Fathead" Newman- ts, fl, Ted Dunbar- g, Kossie Gardner- org, Milt Turner- d

How could I not know that this was Fathead? I need to get this album.

6  Artist Hank Jones - Album Have you met Hank Jones? - Track My Song Is Love

Hank Jones – p, The rest of the album with trio and orchestra.

Wow, a 1956 Savoy album which I had never heard anything from. Again, thanks for introducing this to me. I need to get this one!

7  Artist Little Milton - Album Grits Ain’t Groceries - Track That’ What Love Will Make You Do

Little Milton- guitar and vocals. The rest of the band not mentioned

I have some Little Milton recordings, but not this one. Very interesting

8.  Artist JB Diamond voc, and me on guitar. Album reject- Track Miserable Life

It's you again! I really like the idea of a presenter including their own work. No wonder I could not guess the recording.

9    Artists Biréli Lagrène - Album Gipsy Trio - Track Be My Love

Biréli Lagrène- g, voc, Diego Imbert- b, Hono Winterstein- g, Roberto Alagna- g.

I like Birell and had never heard this album. Another interesting find from this Blindfold Test.

10.  Artist Mary Halvorson -‎ Album Away With You Track Safety Orange

Mary Halvorson :: guitar Susan Alcorn :: pedal steel guitar Jonathan Finlayson :: trumpet Jon Irabagon :: alto saxophone Ingrid Laubrock :: tenor saxophone Jacob Garchik :: trombone John Hébert :: bass Ches Smith :: drums

I have earlier albums by Mary Halvorson. This one is very interesting. I need to catch up on her recorded output.

11.  Artist Randy Weston – Radio broadcast Jazz at the Penthouse Lincoln Center, NYC 1997-01-31 –Track Jitterbug Waltz

I love Randy Weston's playing and had never heard this. Thanks for including it. It is a real treat.

12.  Wayne Shorter with the JALC Orchestra Track Teru

Wayne Shorter- ts, ss, Wynton Marsalis- tp, Ryan Kisor- tp, Kenny Rampton- tp, Marcus Printup- tp, Vincent Gardner- tb, Chris Crenshaw- tb, Ekkiot Mason- tb, Sherman Irbu- as, fl,

Ted Nash- as, Victpr Goines- ts, Walter Blanding- ts, Paul Nedzela- bs, Dan Nimmer- p, Carlos Hrntiquez- b, Ali Jackson- d.

Somehow it slipped by me that Wayne Shorter had recorded with the JALC Orchestra. Is this a radio broadcast or a CD release? I can't seem to find it online. I really like this.

13.  Artist David Williams - Album Up Front - Track Let’s Call This

David Williams- b, Cedar Walton- p, Billy Higgins- d

Somehow I missed this album. I like this a lot. Another one to go get!

14.  Artist Sylvie Courvoisier - Album Double Windsor - Track Corto

Sylvie Courvoisier- p, Drew Gress- b, Kenny Wollesen- d

Ah, a Tzadik date! I noticed that Kenny Wollesen performed on several tracks on the recent BFT which featured only Book of Angels selections. Yet another album I now want to get!

15.  Artist Elio Villafranca’s - Letters to Mother Africa – Track King Of The Zulus

Elio Villafrance- p, Billy Harper- ts, David Murry- ts, bcl, Dezron Douglas- b, Lewis Nash- d,

Abdou Mboup- African perc,

Wow, I had no idea that Billy Harper and David Murray ever recorded together. I have to get this one!

Thanks for one of the great Blindfold Tests!

The Shorter is a satellite broadcast as well as the  Elio Villafrana. 

The Hank Jones is from 1997 or 1998. It is mostly with an orchestra of all original Hank Jones music written for piano and orchestra. This was never released but I managed to get a copy of this.

The original blues was a track left off a recording I did. My avatar is the the cover and back of the CD. 

The Fathead I thought would be the easiest of all the tracks.

The Weston was a radio broadcast. 

14 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

The Shorter is a satellite broadcast as well as the  Elio Villafrana. 

The Hank Jones is from 1997 or 1998. It is mostly with an orchestra of all original Hank Jones music written for piano and orchestra. This was never released but I managed to get a copy of this.

The original blues was a track left off a recording I did. My avatar is the the cover and back of the CD. 

The Fathead I thought would be the easiest of all the tracks.

The Weston was a radio broadcast. 

I see! Thanks for including those radio broadcasts. I really enjoy them.