Venus Records

Berthold

One thing I've noticed about Venus covers is that a number of websites that sell them will scan the back cover to post rather than include the front. That even happened to me when I included a Kenny Werner Venus CD in my top ten list when I was a member of the Jazz Journalist Association. I do think that artists deserve to be consulted and have some sort of veto power, even if they don't choose the final cover themselves. But of course, with Venus, they must know what they are facing. I've had more than a few artists vent during interviews about hideous covers for their CDs (other labels as well).

Charles McPherson told me how much he hated the cover photo on his Venus CD during an interview. It is likely why he has not since recorded for the label.Maybe creepy was an odd term to use for it but it sure didn't appear erotic, which seems to be Hara's intent with many of these covers.

One of my weirdest interactions with an artist at a gig was when I saw Harold Mabern and he had his latest Venus CD, "Don't Know Why" for sale. I wanted him to sign it and I kinda looked at him and my face clearly said, "Do you really want to sign this?" We both laughed. I asked him what the hell was up with the cover and he said something like, "Not my choice, man, that's the way the label does it".

But I do now have Harold's signature scrawled across a boudoir photo. :)

BTW, it's a very good CD and I'm glad I bought it regardless of the weird cover.

I still haven't ever asked Eric Alexander to sign any of his "Gentle Ballads" CDs.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I still haven't ever asked Eric Alexander to sign any of his "Gentle Ballads" CDs.

LOL. I enjoy those sessions musically, however. I like the Venus straight-ahead "style," if you want to call it that. They do a great job recording pianists. I can heartily recommend all the Eric Alexander (often with Hazeltine or LeDonne), Harold Mabern, Cedar Walton, Bill Charlap, Eddie Higgins, Steve Kuhn, and David Hazeltine discs for sure. The Stanley Cowell, Richie Beirach, and Pharoah Sanders (subversively inside playing) discs are also gems.

Some of their covers aren't bad, but I personally place the OBI strips to obscure some of the more risque covers.

Edited by David