Jiri Belohlavek, Conductor and Leading Interpreter of Czech Music, Dies at 71

JSngry

Belohlavek probably was the last of the great Czech Philharmocis conductors in the line of Vaclav Talich (1933-43)  Rafael Kubelík (1942–1948), Karel Ančerl (1950–1968), Václav Neumann (1968–1989), and held this post from 1990-92 and from 2012 until his death. Although he held his own against these world class precedessors (IMO) there is no recording by Belohlavek (of Czech music) which would have bettered the recorded euvre/legacy of these giants.

He had a close collaboration with the BBC Symphony Orchestra resulting inter alias in interesting recordings of Suk (released on Chandos).

Having said that, it was always a pleasure to witness him in live performances as he returned to perform in Vienna/Austri recurringly .....

Edited by soulpope

Gutted.

First saw Belohlavek with LSO in 2001 conducting Dvorak's Stabat Mater. I hoped to get to his April performance of Dvorak's Requiem with the BBCSO, but didn't make it a priority.  Stabat Mater was not very much to my taste and I figured maybe the Requiem would not be either. And I figured, as I have so many times with Belohlavek, skip it this time and go to his next one. Well, there is no next one, and I am taking stock how much I missed...

Fitting that his last released recording is the Stabat Mater with the Czech PO.

Edited by David Ayers

I heard him conduct the Detroit Symphony maybe a decade ago and recall a warm and rustic-sounding New World Symphony  -- less driven and bold than you often hear and more what I'd consider Old World/Czech in character. I don't know his recordings, however.  

Edited by Mark Stryker

Forgetting for a moment the pharonic approach to doing everything by pyramidal hoards of recordings, I suggest the lesson here is go and hear these interesting folks while they are around. Last week I went to hear Blomstedt, 90 next month and looking genuinely sprightly. Oh and on fine form.

FWIW, some of the main stuff Belohlavek did in London with the BBCSO is easily findable on the streaming services - Martinu symphonies, Smetana operas, Suk, and Janacek's Broucek. 

Edited by David Ayers

13 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I suggest the lesson here is go and hear these interesting folks while they are around.

That's a good principle for any music, imo. See the shit live whenever possible. Records are fun, but...

I've known older jazz buffs, cats who were regulars at the clubs in the 50s & 60s, and they're sometimes like, records? what do I need records for? I heard it live?  I met and older couple at a recent chamber concert, they were from Germany, in their 70s or 80s even, and they laughed at me (kindly but rightfully) when I referred to Rite Of Spring as "modern"...I guess they were both conservatory students or something, so records, 78s, all that, that was at most an accessory. When they heard music, it was usually live, and there they were that night, still going to hear it live.

I'm a sucker for a good record (and many a not so good one), but...shit is just different live. I'll go so far as to say, advisedly, that without a good experience in hearing live performance environment (even a club mix) your perception of recordings is not really complete, at least not as complete as it otherwise would be.