The Yakuza - Dave Grusin (Varese)

Varese Sarabande is reissuing Dave Grusin's score to the 1974 neo-noir gangster film The Yakuza, starring Robert Mitchum.  This had been available on CD from Film Sore Monthly, but it is now out of print.  The new release is limited to 1,500 copies.  

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/limited-edition-series/products/yakuza-the

9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

What do you think of it, TTK?  I only have a few on the Varese Sarabande label, but I like everyone.

I missed out on the FSM release.  I saw the film not too long ago.  Mitchum is great (as always).  The score has that irresistible  early-70s urban sound combined with some "Japanese" elements.  Aside from the latter, it is comparable to his scores for "Three Days of the Condor" and "The Friends of Eddie Coyle."  

Varese releases are always top notch, but with film scores, you are always dealing with surviving elements.  I am fairly certain that this one is stereo from the multi-track masters.