Odd Ripping Issue

Justin V

Okay, this has happened with 3 or 4 different DVD drives for laptops and is an intermittent problem, but when I rip a CD, sometimes my DVD drive will leave a tiny scratch.  Since it is an intermittent problem, I have never been able to isolate whether it is more likely to occur when the laptop is on my lap versus a table or when I am using the computer for another task while a disc is ripping.  While it has never resulted in a disc skipping, it is still an annoying issue.  I recently ripped 10 discs without an issue, but it then happened when I ripped the single disc from the Threadgill Mosaic that I received this week.

In the long run, I'd probably be more likely to somehow scratch a disc while sticking it in the computer multiple times to play it if I didn't rip any discs, but I've now ordered an external drive to see whether it is less likely to scratch discs.  My theory is that laptop DVD drives might be engineered to be a little snug, which could somehow result in the scratches.  Has this ever happened to anyone else, or do I just have horrible luck?

Laptop drives are very thin by necessity. As such, they have to cram the same functionality into that thinner space and they make compromises. One of those compromises is how close the laser assembly is to the disc. I have had discs scratched by certain laptop drives as well. The only fix is to replace that drive with a new one and hope it's assembled a little better. There are accepted errors during assembly (tolerances) and every drive can be better or worse than another.

Of course, your best bet is to get an external drive for ripping. :)

2 hours ago, crisp said:

I recall reading early on in my ripping researches that an external disc drive is preferable for a more accurate rip. I recommend getting two since if a disc fails using one it will often rip using another.

This is my experience as well.  I've found that a disc that won't rip on one computer's drive will rip on another.  A disc that won't play on my stereo's CD player will play on my computer's.  I have not found a consistent reason why, but no matter as long as I can accomplish my ends.

Some Verve discs with play times approaching 80 minutes will skip for the last 2 - 3 minutes.  If it skips on my stereo but plays on my computer, I make an exact copy of the disc using Roxio Toast, and the copy will play on my stereo (!).  If it skips on my computer but plays on my stereo, I make a copy on the stereo using a CD recorder, and the copy will play on my computer.