Alexander Hawkins Unit[e]

Alexander Hawkins

I just wanted to give this one its own thread - although I did mention it previously elsewhere, it got buried quite fast!

At any rate, I have a new release, which I'd really love for people to check out. It's a double album. The first half is more music from my sextet, whilst the second half comprises the first release of my large ensemble music.

Here's a link to my bandcamp page, where it's available: Alexander Hawkins Unit[e]

The physical release date isn't actually until July 7th (though I will have copies before then); but for digital listeners, it's now available

The full personnel etc. is listed over at the Bandcamp link. 

Finally, as a bit of a bonus, despite being a double album, it is priced as for a single, in the hope that this might entice a few people to listen who wouldn't otherwise!

Unit[e] cover.jpg

Thanks so much for listening! I guess at this point I have to be slightly circumspect with the details of the America question, just because the show in question hasn't been announced yet (my guess is it will be soon), but yes - really happy to be coming to Chicago at the start of September...sadly that's a one-shotter, so nothing else planned at this time!

Just upping this as I now have some physical copies I can sell...please do PM me if interested!

It's a double album, and having just been to the Post Office, I can send it (including P&P) to the UK for £11.50 total, and £15 to the US or EU. Other countries, I'm totally happy to do, but will need to double check postage. Paypal is preferable...

Thanks for considering it!

Having now spent some time with disc.1 of this release I can only say that it's a triumph. It's interesting to hear the Ensemble eight years on from the first release on FMR. There's undoubtedly a very strong thread running between them and despite the personnel changes the characteristics of the music and the playing are immediately identifiable. There's still that marvellously wonky gait that propels the more uptempo numbers.The Ensemble sounds more cohered and much of the disc is characterised by ensemble rather than solo playing. No one player shines but all play an equally integral part in the success of the whole emerging at different times to make individual statements. The key to all of this has to be the compositions all of which achieve a fine balance between complexity with accessibility. To start with a Jerome Cooper tune is a real statement of intent and one that fair leaps out of the speakers.

I'd recommend this to anyone with open ears who wants to hear some fine contemporary (and British, for what that's worth) players playing memorable compositions in a non-straight ahead manner. I remember posting about the first Ensemble disc and mentioning Threadgill - it's still that type of beguiling and complex music, driven by great tunes and some definite groove. And to think I once gave the guitarist my spare copy of a Paul Motian LP - I can hear some Motian in this music too!

And now I've got to try the large Ensemble disc..

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Having now spent some time with disc.1 of this release I can only say that it's a triumph. It's interesting to hear the Ensemble eight years on from the first release on FMR. There's undoubtedly a very strong thread running between them and despite the personnel changes the characteristics of the music and the playing are immediately identifiable. There's still that marvellously wonky gait that propels the more uptempo numbers.The Ensemble sounds more cohered and much of the disc is characterised by ensemble rather than solo playing. No one player shines but all play an equally integral part in the success of the whole emerging at different times to make individual statements. The key to all of this has to be the compositions all of which achieve a fine balance between complexity with accessibility. To start with a Jerome Cooper tune is a real statement of intent and one that fair leaps out of the speakers.

I'd recommend this to anyone with open ears who wants to hear some fine contemporary (and British, for what that's worth) players playing memorable compositions in a non-straight ahead manner. I remember posting about the first Ensemble disc and mentioning Threadgill - it's still that type of beguiling and complex music, driven by great tunes and some definite groove. And to think I once gave the guitarist my spare copy of a Paul Motian LP - I can hear some Motian in this music too!

And now I've got to try the large Ensemble disc..

Fantastic - thanks so much for this. Really happy you've enjoyed the Ensemble...fingers crossed for the large group!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This disc has had plenty of spins in my house (and car!) over the past month. It's a 'piano in the background' kind of affair and allows the multifaceted Red demonstrate mastery of his orchestra. Good music, as the Duke himself surely would have said

• 3 weeks later...