James Newton (Iverson interview)

This is a musician whose output is way too low.  I really love so much of his work, and I was fortunate to see him in concert once--doing Ellington material, similar to The African Flower but about 15 years later.

He's had a very low profile for too long, and I guess he's been focused on sacred music.

Is there a chance for a comeback, especially as a jazz player? 

I mean, I first heard about Lloyd Reese in that Mingus liner essay, and the legend has only grown since. And yet, no pic on the internet? That's all kinds of wrong.

Also love that he's giving props to Olly Wilson, Hale Smith, George Walker, Mel Powell...people who know what they're doing in so many ways besides "just" extreme proficiency.

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

I mean, I first heard about Lloyd Reese in that Mingus liner essay, and the legend has only grown since. And yet, no pic on the internet? That's all kinds of wrong.

Also love that he's giving props to Olly Wilson, Hale Smith, George Walker, Mel Powell...people who know what they're doing in so many ways besides "just" extreme proficiency.

If folks haven't seen Iverson's interview with George Walker from several years ago, it's here: https://ethaniverson.com/interview-with-george-walker/

• 1 month later...

Nice interview, thanks for the link. I used to see James all the time in the late eighties in LA. I ran into him a few years back at UCLA backstage at the Ornette concert at Royce Hall. I was shocked at his appearance! He was always heavy but he's morbidly obese now. Too bad, doesn't bode well for his longevity. He's a superb musician and seemed on track to do great things, in my opinion. Maybe he still can. Sure hope so.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Great interview.  Newton seems like a really wonderful, generous guy... made me want to acquire a bunch more of his music.

My friend Ruth Naomi Floyd studied with him, considers him a major mentor and influence, and has nothing but props for him.  He recorded with her on her "Root to the Fruit" album.

• 3 weeks later...