Post a pic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

960x540.jpg

A remarkable photograph. Question for the pros - do people g3t lucky when they take a picture like this, in the middle of a very fluid moment, or are they like the cat who waits for exactly the right moment?

As with the McCain/Health care photo, the origination point might be of a political nature, but the story told by the image transcends mere politics.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:31 PM, kinuta said:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8o7fwNBphPI/VnbO_wLKDzI/AAAAAAAAJUk/LpZADzYMwRU/s1600/20151220_083738-1.jpg

I like these old sf covers, they have a certain lost charm.

Kelly Freas did a lot of covers for various magazines and paperback books but none of the others showed up as good as his Astounding covers. I enjoyed that Asimov serial but stopped buying Astounding every month because I found Garrett and Silverberg as unreadable as they were prolific

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

C.F. is Charles Fox?

Yes, from the record reviews from  Jazz Monthly (August, 1963). Other reviewers were Albert McCarthy, Alun Morgan, Paul Oliver and John Postgate.   A great read.

The photograph by Val Wilmer, taken from the same magazine presents Babs Gonzales. Only  my real close people know my expoobidence. Like I ran into Bud Powell in Paris the other night and he shouted "Babs Brown! Ain't you Lee Babs Brown? Ah, Come and kiss me, sugar!".

3 hours ago, aparxa said:

Yes, from the record reviews from  Jazz Monthly (August, 1963). Other reviewers were Albert McCarthy, Alun Morgan, Paul Oliver and John Postgate.   A great read.

The photograph by Val Wilmer, taken from the same magazine presents Babs Gonzales. Only  my real close people know my expoobidence. Like I ran into Bud Powell in Paris the other night and he shouted "Babs Brown! Ain't you Lee Babs Brown? Ah, Come and kiss me, sugar!".

I have some Jazz Monthlys from that era. Some very smart people among the reviewers -- also (from that general era or shortly to come)  Max Harrison, Terry Martin (my eventual good friend and fellow Chicagoan for many years now), Jack Cooke, Michel James, Ronald Atkins, et al. As in that Fox review, though, at times some of them could be dangerously ... "parochial" might be the right term -- this in part because most of their knowledge of recent/current U.S. developments was almost entirely confined to what recordings got through. Cooke  (still active I believe) and James (who sadly died young)  were especially good. Harrison at his best was absolutely brilliant, but he also could be prickly almost beyond belief.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

La

A remarkable photograph. Question for the pros - do people g3t lucky when they take a picture like this, in the middle of a very fluid moment, or are they like the cat who waits for exactly the right moment?

As with the McCain/Health care photo, the origination point might be of a political nature, but the story told by the image transcends mere politics.

No time to wait on photo event like that one. The photographer is allowed inside the White House room  a couple of  minutes as part of a sélecteurs pool. He has to make quick decisions like where to position himself if he is allowéd to move inside the room and make sure he includes everybody of importance in his images. Brain and luck also help.

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I have some Jazz Monthlys from that era. Some very smart people among the reviewers -- also (from that general era or shortly to come)  Max Harrison, Terry Martin (my eventual good friend and fellow Chicagoan for many years now), Jack Cooke, Michel James, Ronald Atkins, et al. As in that Fox review, though, at times some of them could be dangerously ... "parochial" might be the right term -- this in part because most of their knowledge of recent/current U.S. developments was almost entirely confined to what recordings got through. Cooke  (still active I believe) and James (who sadly died young)  were especially good. Harrison at his best was absolutely brilliant, but he also could be prickly almost beyond belief.

Jack  Cooke's essay on Eric Dolphy was a major influence on my thinking and writing, and I quickly came to appreciate Terry Martin's, Paul Oliver's, Max's, etc.'s Jazz Monthly writings too. Some of those writers also wrote some of the best short reviews in the Jazz Review (late '5os-early '60s). Martin of course has  been an unsung hero of Chicago jazz for a half century now, given his recordings of and advocacy for AACM artists and his Jazz Institute of Chicago work, especially his co-curating concerts and the Chicago Jazz Festival and especially his guiding the Jazz Institute's archives program.

8 hours ago, aparxa said:

I have quite a few LPs with Charles Fox's CF initials in the back in biro. Early 1960s review copies for Gramophone Magazine. Always interesting to check out the corresponding reviews in their archive ( alas - access to it is now paywalled).

Edited by sidewinder

On 9/7/2017 at 0:36 PM, Larry Kart said:

Those were the days. I can recall salivating over the records that Jack Cooke would write about in his "recent American records" essays. Terrific reviews from Harrison, Morgan etc.  A big influence on me at the time..  Current jazz journalism doesn't seem to approach the standards these achieved.  Incidentally Ron Atkins still reviews occasionally in Jazz Journal.