Post a pic

50 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So the question comes to mind, Jim:

Did it occur to post this - seemingly obvious - political newsmagazine cover and, as a mod who should know and follow the rules, post something about "this could be construed as political but I see it as artful, and powerful, and indicative of the current conflict without taking a side. You may think I'm posting in a political way but that's not my intent."?

No, it never occurred to be that it would be construed as political, at least not "political" in the sense that it and/or I was using it as propaganda to advance a specific view, because I don't know that it was (I actually still read Time, and although, yeah, they're institutionalized with a tangibld "lean", it's not like you don't get a variety of viewpoints offered to you, you do. There is an overall viewpoint, yes, but it's is not a monovisioned one, not at all, there is a spectrum, and not all if it leftward. Whether or not one chooses to read them to know they're there, that's between the reader and their brain), and I know that I sure as hell wasn't.

Immigration and the response to it....it's a complicated situation and as in all complicated situations, once emotion wears off and logic takes hold, nuances begin to become apparent. That was why I posted it, because, yes, it made me think, not about "politics", but about all the nuances and complexities that We The Species are facing these days. And how much are we creating vs how much are we responding to? Are we creating the future we're responding to now, or are we grasping a reality that has only begun to unfold? Or is it a mix of that? Or none of that? Is this whole thing a failure of imagination or a failure of a lack of imagination?

I don't think it's political to consider existential questions about current events (if only because all events are current, historical events were once current events, future events will be current events, the same shit keeps happening to the species just in different iterations, because non-climatological current events are laways HUMAN events, I think it's political to NOT consider questions but to instead pimp for one "easy" answer.

Perhaps I gave the audience more credit to extrapolate out than was realistic? Or perhaps I have no grasp on what "reality" has become?

No matter - I accept that the general response to the image has been political in nature. But I can gurandamntee you and anybody else who asks that I was not seeing it that way when I posted it. And I myself still don't.

Because of that, I myself will not delete it, but any of the other mods still has - and will always have - the prerogative to delete it. No hard feelings here.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Larry Kart said:

All those whose posts on this thread I've just deleted:

NO POLITICAL CONTENT/COMMENT ON ORGANISSIMO! THAT'S THE RULE;  NO ARGUMENTS OR QUIBBLES. 

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO AWAY OR YOU'LL BE GONE AWAY! 

I don't check this thread out very often. I had no problem with anything I'd seen on it until someone pointed out to me that posts had been deleted. I scrolled up and saw the above. Given the images that have been posted on this thread, does anyone think that was a bit of an overreaction? I did.

I do think that we should let this serve as a lesson learned for all and post accordingly.

We used to get annual "refresher training" on the topic of sexual harassment, and what constitutes said harassment.  One of the instructors one year said that it often doesn't matter what the intent of a comment or action was, if it is received by someone as sexual harassment, then it usually is sexual harassment.  Even if you as the harasser don't perceive it to be, you can suffer consequences because someone else saw it that way and was offended or victimized.

Perhaps that is a corollary to this political issue - if it's being received as being political, then it is, regardless of what the person who posted it believed.  It doesn't really matter how it's defended or justified.

Edited by Aggie87

14 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

We used to get annual "refresher training" on the topic of sexual harassment, and what constitutes said harassment.  One of the instructors one year said that it often doesn't matter what the intent of a comment or action was, if it is received by someone as sexual harassment, then it usually is sexual harassment.  Even if you as the harasser don't perceive it to be, you can suffer consequences because someone else saw it that way and was offended or victimized.

Perhaps that is a corollary to this political issue - if it's being received as being political, then it is, regardless of what the person who posted it believed.  It doesn't really matter how it's defended or justified.

The company I worked for did that too, along with other courses which required you to timely complete them, or you'd receive a warning. In the harassment area of the law (unlike some others), intent is irrelevant. 

If we don't keep this as political free as we possibly can, we will send Chairman Mao after you ;)

IMG_0525-L.jpg

Edited by Brad

On 11/10/2018 at 1:11 PM, Brad said:

The company I worked for did that too, along with other courses which required you to timely complete them, or you'd receive a warning. In the harassment area of the law (unlike some others), intent is irrelevant. 

Sounds familiar. Never got the warnings though !

Edited by sidewinder