Jeff Crompton Trio Southeastern Tour

I seldom post about my musical activities here, but at the age of 58, I'm making the first tour under my own name in about a month, and wanted to let folks know. It's a short southeastern tour by the Jeff Crompton Trio with bassist Evan Lipson (best known in free jazz circles for his association with saxophonist Jack Wright) and the great Bob Stagner (Shaking Ray Levis) on drums. Our Magic Word CD made Creative Loafing Atlanta's "Top 10 Atlanta CDs of 2016" list. The music is free jazz and a certain amount of free improv. Here's the schedule:

Sunday, July 9 - Indianhead Factory, Tallahassee
Monday, July 10 - Hi-Ho Lounge, New Orleans
Wednesday, July 12 - Studio 620, St. Petersburg
Thursday, July 13 - The Gallery at Avalon Island, Orlando
Friday, July 14 - El-Rocko Lounge, Savannah
Saturday, July 15 - Mammal Gallery, Atlanta

If you live near any of these spots, please spread the word, even if you're not interested yourself. Thanks!

Edited by jeffcrom

• 4 weeks later...

This little road trip starts a week from tonight. If you're near any of these towns and have any interest in free jazz, come out and hear us. My bandmates are incredible - I'm the weakest member of the trio, but I write the tunes, so I get to put my name on the band.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Jeff's St. Petersburg concert the other night. ... I think I had a big old dumb grin on my face the entire time as this waterfall of free bop-ish music washed over me. 

Incredible energy from a really talented trio and Jeff is no joke on the sax / clarinet. Man can bring it.

Almost all original tunes with a little Ornette thrown in. ... Scooped up a copy of Jeff's latest CD with this band, "Magic Word," which I'd heartily recommend. Not only is the music rewarding but you'll be supporting one (three) of the hard-working musicians who make it happen.

If you have a chance to catch these guys in Atlanta on Saturday night (Hutch?), do it.

Thanks for the music, Jeff ...

Edited by papsrus

On 7/14/2017 at 5:34 PM, papsrus said:

Went to Jeff's St. Petersburg concert the other night. ... I think I had a big old dumb grin on my face the entire time as this waterfall of free bop-ish music washed over me. 

Incredible energy from a really talented trio and Jeff is no joke on the sax / clarinet. Man can bring it.

Almost all original tunes with a little Ornette thrown in. ... Scooped up a copy of Jeff's latest CD with this band, "Magic Word," which I'd heartily recommend. Not only is the music rewarding but you'll be supporting one (three) of the hard-working musicians who make it happen.

If you have a chance to catch these guys in Atlanta on Saturday night (Hutch?), do it.

Thanks for the music, Jeff ...

Thank you, James. It was great to see you again.

The St. Pete audience was one of the best I've ever had. This kind of music was new to most of them, but they were curious, attentive, and appreciative.

The tour-ending show in Atlanta tonight was perhaps the best set this group has ever done. It was intense.