Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Release date August 7:

On Two Part Solution, Frank Basile and Sam Dillon play baritone and tenor saxophone, respectively. It's a front-line pairing as rare as, well, peanut butter and fried pickles. But in the hands of these young lions, the combination sounds so good, so natural, it makes you question why we're not hearing baritone/tenor saxophone quintets pouring out of every open window.

81rkAmZgMtL._SL1500_.jpg

Release date September 11:

The new record from saxophonist Mark Hynes, features the late bassist Dennis Irwin in a rare unreleased recording. With the dynamic drummer Darrell Green, the trio swings joyously with a modern panache. A veteran sideman, Irwin was diagnosed with terminal cancer before the album could be completed. A bonus track is dedicated to him, with Yasushi Nakamura on bass and Jerome Jennings on drums.

81SyNbmqWRL._SL1500_.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Release date August 6:

71%2BW0WFLi4S._SL1200_.jpg

One of Vancouver\x27s most beloved jazz groups of the past 10 years serve up heaps of grease playing the music of Eddie Harris, Shirley Scott, Hank Marr and other purveyors of greasy jazz! Usually a two horn front\-line, this edition of the Nightcrawlers features only the tenor saxophone with Cory Weeds at the helm. Filling out the sound of the band is percussionist Jack Duncan!

Release date September 3:

A1yyyXvpoDS._SL1500_.jpg

This project began in 2018, when Cory Weeds pitched an idea to me for a Joe Williams tribute show at Frankie's Jazz Club in Vancouver. Williams is arguably one of the greatest jazz & blues singers we've ever had. In March 2019, we played two club dates, calling the show Nothin' But the Blues: A Tribute to Joe Williams. It was so well received, that we immediately began planning a follow-up gig. We decided to expand our theme, still travelling a blues path, but drawing material from other artists. Cory was an invaluable source, hipping me to such names as Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, Jimmy Witherspoon, David Peaston, and Billie Poole. In September 2019, we played our second show at Frankie's: Steve Maddock Sextet: The Blues Project. Cory suggested we make a record for his Cellar Music label, so we invited our friend Bill Coon, a wonderful musician & composer, to co-produce. After several challenges and delays due to the global pandemic, we finally got the six of us into the studio in December, 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Release date October 15:

616byPICh3L._SL1200_.jpg

An unearthed treasure of a recording from one of Canada's most beloved vocalists and educators, this 2001 studio recording was never released, and is Shannon Gunn's posthumous debut. Shannon tragically passed from cancer in 2020, leaving the music community with a massive void. Shannon inspired hundreds if not thousands of musicians to dedicate their lives to jazz music and her loss was felt by the entire jazz industry. This release comes out just over a year after her passing. The album is a true discovery, brought to the label from Shannon's husband Brian Dickenson. It features a dream team band of multi-Juno Award winners Renee Rosnes on piano, Neil Swainson on bass, Billy Drummond on drums, Brad Turner on trumpet, Pat Labarbera on saxophone and Rock Lazar on percussion and was Produced and arranged by 5-Time Juno Award winning jazz legend Renee Rosnes.

• 3 weeks later...

Release date November 5:

71tnlJQ6dyL._SL1500_.jpg

When I think of the phrase it takes a village to raise a child, I often think of my music training and all of the great musicians and people I have come across throughout the years, starting with the great trumpeter Zilner Randolph, who was Louis Armstrong's musical director in the '40s. I was five years old when I met the master, and the piano lessons he gave me were really life lessons - I just did not realize it at the time. The village raising a child soon grew, and I entered high school, where Reginald Willis became my mentor. Because of this, I won a four-year scholarship to Berklee College of Music. Mulgrew Miller and James Williams as well as my peers and other members of the village became my teachers and mentors. Now, living in New York City since '95, I continue to be inspired in this great city by great musicians and great people. One of those great people is Lorraine Tiezzi, who is a real lover of this Black American art form. This album is about saying thank you to all the people in the village who continue to raise that child. Since the pandemic, it has really humbled me in many ways - this is my way of saying thank you. I bring you Lorraine's lullabies Anthony Wonsey New York City May 2021

• 8 months later...

Release date July 1:

71suWA1gxOL._SL1500_.jpg

From the liner notes, written by the leader: Just The Contrafacts was a project borne of the 2020 lockdown. I was stuck at home and unable to play with other human beings. As the months dragged on, I needed some kind of musical outlet. I started giving myself the exercise of writing contrafacts; that is writing new melodies over the chord structure of standard tunes from the Great American Songbook. It was something to keep my mind occupied and my creativity active in the absence of gigs. After writing a fair number of melodies, I thought it would be fun to write sextet arrangements and as I started doing this, I thought why not make this into an album? Being a mental escape of sorts from the tedium and anxiety of the early lockdown period, I gravitated towards humor and whimsy in these pieces. The world for me was heavy enough and I was using music as a way to sooth myself by playing around and having fun. A lot of the titles of the tunes reflect this attitude. The title and cover also point to escapism to a different time and a tongue-in-cheek nod to film-noir. I hope, dear listener, that some of this fun and light-hearted-ness comes through and can serve as a balm for your soul in these strange times

Release date July 15:

61ve2yJtq4L._SL1500_.jpg

Jazz vocal legend Sheila Jordan's new album 'Live at Mezzrow' is the debut recording in the newly launched SmallsLIVE Living Master's Series.

During the COVID pandemic that shut down Smalls and Mezzrow in NYC from March of 2020 through April of 2021, they relied exclusively on funds raised by their not-for-profit, The SmallsLIVE Foundation. It was short of miraculous, but a world-wide support network of jazz fans and musicians came together and kept them alive with donations and support. They raised more than what was needed, and these extra funds became the budget for their "SmallsLIVE Living Masters Series". This is part life-time achievement award and part recording document. The idea is to document the work of older artists that have had a lifetime in jazz music and a connection to their clubs. 

Sheila Jordan, along with her bandmates Alan Broadbent and Harvie S, is not just short of miraculous but actually miraculous. At age 93, she delivers a vociferous performance of standards and bebop. She literally glows with the resonant age of her accomplishments and associations. She prides herself on her friendship with Charlie Parker and speaks often of him. She has the core vibration of the true Detroit sound and hails from the very greatest period of that music. Her fellow Detroiters, such as Barry Harris, Hank Jones, Tommy Flannagan and others have all but left us but she is still here and still vibrant. Sheila still has that vibe and that deep warmth that only a mature spirits can communicate and share. People respond to Sheila with love and gratitude and bask in her modest yet authoritative demeanor. 

It is a great privilege for Cellar Music Group to present Sheila Jordan - Live Mezzrow - in partnership with the SmallsLIVE Living Masters Series. She's in an element that she knows best (a crowded and intimate club) and is with musicians she trusts the most. We hope this document can provide you an insight into her work and her depth. Sheila Jordan is the debut of our SmallsLIVE Living Master's Series and we can't think of a better representative.

Track Listing:

Bird Alone
The Touch of Your Lips
What Is This Thing Called Love
The Bird & Confirmation
Look For the Silver Lining
Falling in Love With Love
Baltimore Oriole
Blue and Green
Autumn In New York
Lucky To Be Me