Eddie Diehl R.I.P.

paul secor

A mutual friend informed me today that guitarist Eddie Diehl had passed away recently.

Over the years, Ed recorded with Jack McDuff (he was the guitarist in McDuff's group in between Grant Green's stint and George Benson's), Gene Ammons, Sonny Stitt, Al Haig, George Braith, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Roswell Rudd, and probably others I don't know about. In addition, he also played gigs and jammed with countless musicians. In his later years, he moved to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. and, in addition to playing occasional gigs, was a respected luthier. (To add a personal note, he played at my 60th birthday celebration.)

Ed was a very fine jazz guitarist and never received the recognition he deserved. He will be missed.

Edited by paul secor

2 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

he's also on Hank M's Thinking of Home, and sounds great there.

Forgot to mention that one. Ed told a story that Francis (Ed called him Frank) Wolff wanted  Kenny Burrell to play on the date, but Hank Mobley insisted on using Ed on guitar. He called Hank "a true friend" for doing that.

20 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Joel Fass often mentioned him when he was here. Loss all round.:(  Q

I think there was a recent gig at Smalls with both Eddie Diehl and Joel Fass participating. Presumably it is available for listening for Smalls subscribers.

RIP - always liked his work on 'Thinking of Home'.

Edited by sidewinder

So pleased Spotify has this:

diehl_jones-well_here_it_is.jpg

.. and YouTube has a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBNusrWeXGM

18 hours ago, Quasimado said:

He could play. One of those unsung cats – recorded with Stitt, Gene Ammons, Al Haig, Hank Mobley etc.. Nice CD as leader w. Hank Jones.

Joel Fass often mentioned him when he was here. Loss all round.:(  Q

Come back Joel, wherever you are!