Jan Garbarek

Milestones

Jan Garbarek, anyone?

I have to confess I don't know his work all that well.  Sure, I have fair amount of stuff from Jarret's European Quartet, plus there is Magico with Haden and Gismonti and sideman releases like Deer Wan (Wheeler) and Solstice (Towner).  But I have nothing under his own name.  

He has certainly been a major figure on ECM, and for that matter in jazz overall (especially European jazz).  His sax sound is definitely different.  

Where do I start with his solo work? 

• 3 weeks later...

He's been touring with the same band for years, including pianist Rainer Brüninghaus and percussionist Trilok Gurtu - forgot who the bassist was two years ago when he played here. The best moments were when Garbarek and Gurtu were duetting; the remainder was a bit disappointing, sounding too much like Weather Report inspired fusion music, with the pianist spoiling the sound with heavy, bombastic chording. Garbarek needs sidemen who challenge him more and force him into new territory, like Miroslav Vitous did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 11:09 PM, soulpope said:

Historically habe a soft spot for his sublime outing with the Bobo Stenson Trio titled "Dansere" ....

Yes!  That and Witchi Ti are my top two.   For something completely different I enjoy the one he did with the Hilliard Ensemble, Officium.  He has his own sound, that's for sure.  I like him on occasion but find some of the environments and styles not to my taste.  I usually like his playing as a guest on albums like those mentioned by the OP though.

• 7 months later...

from paths prints (1982, hang in there)

from photo with... (1979)

i used to take Garbarek for granted but stepping back and looking at totality of his work... spin Rostasi's RUNES back to back with (Icelandic composer) Jon Leifs for bracing etc, though not Ishman Bracey

Edited by MomsMobley

4 hours ago, Joe said:

His work with George Russell merits attention. THE ESSENCE OF, TRIP TO PRILLAGURI, the original ELECTRONIC SONATA FOR SOULS LOVED BY NATURE, and ESOTERIC CIRCLE.

This stuff is so good.  Russell's vision + brilliant young musicians = excellence.