Geri Allen Has Died

Kevin Bresnahan

Drummer Ralph Peterson just posted on Facebook that pianist Geri Allen is "gravely ill".

For those of you with Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ralph.j.peterson?pnref=story

For those of you without Facebook this is Ralph's post:

Our thoughts hearts and prayers go out to my friend and Master pianist/composer/educator Geri Allen.....1f64f_1f3fe.png??1f64f_1f3fe.png??1f64f_1f3fe.png??

Dear Friends,

We are very sad to announce that one of our most beloved and respected artists, Geri Allen, is gravely ill. Her family and her long-time manager Ora Harris have asked us to post this message and request that you please hold all communications with Ora and the family members until further notice. Please allow them their privacy at this sensitive time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Geri and her family at this difficult time.

Motema Music

Edit: Sadly, Geri has died from cancer.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Gravely ill usually means close to death, so I do not know that she is going to get well soon. This is very sad. Every time I heard her live, she was inspired.

With the addition of, "Please allow them their privacy at this sensitive time", I was thinking the same thing as you. I hope we're wrong with our interpretations and she pulls through.

I've seen Geri more times than I can remember and she was always wonderful at the keys. She is scheduled to perform at the Newport Jazz Festival August 5th in a trio with Terri Lynne Carrington & Esperanza Spalding.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan