Geri Allen Has Died

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hard to process.  Although I got to see her perform several times, most recently in November, I wish that I had seen her perform more when I had the chance.  I plan on exploring more of her work and revisiting the recordings of her that I already have.  Rest in peace, Ms. Allen, and thank you for the music.  

• 4 years later...

There was a VERY nice tribute to her at SFJAZZ in February:

TERRI LYNE CARRINGTON: GENIUS, GRACE AND FIRE: A TRIBUTE TO GERI ALLEN
W/ RAVI COLTRANE, DAVE HOLLAND, & JASON MORAN

The show was introduced by her brother, Mount, who is also an Exec with SFJAZZ

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I would like to explore further, only have one CD by her, Maroons.  Suggestions for next steps?

Ten to Get you Started

The Printmakers

Etudes

Homegrown

Open on All Sides

Etudes (Paul Motion/Charlie Haden)

The Nurturer

Twenty One

The Gathering

Zodiac Suite Revisited

Flying Toward the Sound

It’s not of a sound quality worth releasing, but somewhere I have an audience recording (from a performance at some museum, iirc)… …of Geri and Wallace (just the two of them, as a duo) playing all or most of the entire Birth of the Cool album/songbook.  It’s VERY free at times too, very exploratory.  All the themes are referenced, but it’s anything but a conservative reading.

If only there was a good recording of that, it would be kind of revelatory.

Anyone else heard what I’m talking about?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Are there any known unreleased recordings of either live performances or special projects that would bear making a noise about?

I did notice there is a new (2022) one - unreleased Village Vanguard tapes with Haden and Motion, I think.  One of those hard to find Japanese things.

22 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Ten to Get you Started

The Printmakers

Etudes

Homegrown

Open on All Sides

Etudes (Paul Motion/Charlie Haden)

The Nurturer

Twenty One

The Gathering

Zodiac Suite Revisited

Flying Toward the Sound

Awesome - thanks Mark!

• 1 year later...

Recently I realized that, in light of the various excellent and varied live music experiences that I recall, I didn't have enough Geri Allen recordings and have been trying to rectify that deficiency.

2000: Chico Freeman, Richard Davis, Geri Allen and Andrew Cyrille at Jazz Standard. I wish there were a recording of this group.

2002: At the Iridium, with a Wallace Roney led group that also included James Spaulding and Lennie White. I went twice over the course of a week. I recall Patrice Rushen was advertised as the pianist but it was in fact Geri Allen.

2007: Geri Allen Trio with tap dancer, at Jazz Improv Festival.

2015: David Murray/Geri Allen/Terri Lynne Carrington, at Winter Jazz Fest.

2016: Geri Allen Tribute to Erroll Garner, with Christian Sands, Russell Malone, Victor Lewis. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. George Wein was in attendance.

Edited by kh1958

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.9de82d7a25305cc9fcabd10a2820bcaa.jpeg

On 12/10/2023 at 1:04 PM, kh1958 said:

Recently I realized that, in light of the various excellent and varied live music experiences that I recall, I didn't have enough Geri Allen recordings and have been trying to rectify that deficiency.

2000: Chico Freeman, Richard Davis, Geri Allen and Andrew Cyrille at Jazz Standard. I wish there were a recording of this group.

2002: At the Iridium, with a Wallace Roney led group that also included James Spaulding and Lennie White. I went twice over the course of a week. I recall Patrice Rushen was advertised as the pianist but it was in fact Geri Allen.

2007: Geri Allen Trio with tap dancer, at Jazz Improv Festival.

2015: David Murray/Geri Allen/Terri Lynne Carrington, at Winter Jazz Fest.

2016: Geri Allen Tribute to Erroll Garner, with Christian Sands, Russell Malone, Victor Lewis. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. George Wein was in attendance.

You can find some more recordings here on my Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327260927975997/?multi_permalinks=1329195701115843&notif_id=1704124014860813&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif