Tour de France 2017

Sagan is usually one of the Tour's characters. 

I'm not too sure what Cav thinks of Sagan's swagger at the moment :) The film I saw did made it look a lot more of an offensive rather than defensive/balancing movement.

Froome now back in yellow. His Sky protection team will now move into place

I suspect everyone's enjoyed the rest day after the hairy day on the slopes yesterday. A real shame for both Porte and Thomas and Porte's crash looked particularly nasty.

Aru's move on Froome was intriguing as was the lack of response from the other GC contenders who all chose to respect the yellow jersey. When will Aru make his next move? 

On UK TV today Froome's talking about riding defensively and using the TT at the end to attack but then he isn't going to broadcast his real intentions to anyone. He could well try and put some distance between him and the others on one of the upcoming mountain stages

Edited by mjazzg

• 1 year later...

Yes, just watching the highlights in the evening.  Interesting race so far with Sky in a good position.  Very disappointed with Froome's "medication" - it's hard to believe that it dosn't enhance performance.  Nevertheless he's in the race and doesn't deserve physical attacks.  I can understand the booing.

I'm following the evening highlights. They're plugging the WC hole

That Alpes d'Huez stage was a great watch, attack and counter-attack and Thomas winning again.  I loved his interviews where he appeared genuinely surprised and overcome by his achievement - it was a nice contrast to so much scripted sports interviews.  Could this be the year the baton's passed as it was from Wiggins to Froome when it became obvious Froome was stronger. It will be interesting to see how it develops.  Doumoulin's looking good too.

It really does intrigue me how Sky always manage to ride as a team in a manner that no other team seems to do. I don't know enough to really understand why this is but I'm guessing it's money and rider recruitment.

I'm with John on Froome and a feeling of disappointment (nothing much stronger than that at the moment). I can't understand the seemingly strong correlation between professional road racers and asthma...

Sky always seem like they have a plan that they stick to.  They remind me of a well oiled business, impossible to stop. 

Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin, the tv announcers, were waxing poetic about Peter Sagan, not just because he’s a wonderful sprinter, but because he managed to persevere in the Alps where so many other sprinters failed. 

I see that Nibali's team is threatening legal action against the Tour.  I'm always amazed how spectators get so close to the riders and run next to them, exhorting or yelling at them. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents.  

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Punishing stage today. Great to see Quintana finally show. Thomas is looking really strong reacting to everything Doumoulin and Roglic threw at him.  Froome struggling, amongst all the boos

With only three stages left, I can't see Thomas being denied the victory.  Quintana has waited too long to make his mark. 

Thomas ran another fine race today and well deserves his victory.  You have to tip your hat to Froome in getting back on the podium, a moral victory for him I suppose. 

Quintana was overall disappointing. After his 2nd and 3rd places a few years ago, he hasn’t lived up to his promise. 

The summer of fun — World Cup and TDF — is just about over. 

Yes, indeed.  Well ridden Thomas especially, Froome, especially Bernal on Friday. 

I really do have mixed feelings about Sky, anything owned by Murdoch is anathema, I don't tend to like any teams that dominate their sport like this and the Wiggins/parcel shenanigans was so disappointing.  However, I have to admire a team that seems to be so tactically ahead of their rivals and so consistently able to outmanoeuvre them.  I still don't understand why no other team seems to be able to replicate this approach of bossing the peloton so consistently.

Summer of fun only just getting going over here...first Test Match, against the world's best, India starts wednesday.  WC and TDF have just been appetisers :)

The Murdochs may not own it much longer. Disney is acquiring their 39 percent in Sky by virtue of Disney’s acquisition of Fox broadcasting assets and Disney and Comcast are vying to bid the remaining 61 percent.

I don’t think we get the cricket over here.  

Edited by Brad