Dick Hyman

duaneiac

Dick Hyman was scheduled to perform a duo concert with Ken Peplowski as part of the Stanford Jazz festival this week.  However, I just read a notice that Mr. Hyman has had to "withdraw due to health concerns" and will be replaced by one of his proteges, Ehud Asherie.  I saw that Mr. Hyman is scheduled to perform other dates this month, including a 90th birthday celebration in his honor as part of the Jazz In July series at the 92nd Street Y in NYC on July 18th, so I hope he this is just a temporary "health concern" and that he is back to good health soon.

i hope any illness is temporary. I've long been a fan of Dick Hyman's work, discovering him back in the late 1970s. I've had the pleasure of reviewing numerous Dick Hyman LPs and CDs, I've done interviews with him and even ran into him on two occasions in New York City, once while he and his wife were just out on the town catching a performance of Oklahoma! and they coincidentally had the two seats directly in front of my wife and me. He is a national treasure.

Dick Hyman has released some amazing albums, such as Moon Gas with Mary Mayo; The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman; and The Age of Electronicus, in addition to contributing to such masterpieces as Spaced Out by the Great Enoch Light.   Here is a gem from The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman:

And here is is incredible cover of James Brown's "Give It Up or Turn It Loose."

I heard "The Minotaur" from his first Moog LP back then on AFN Europe - it blew my mind. Never found the record over here though, only the follow-up LP. Got the CD a few years ago - he was a pioneer, and a totally unprejudiced mind. That he is the same man that is an enyclopedia of historic jazz piano styles is amazing. 

8 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Hearing the whistling on "The Moog And Me" reminds me of a little dribble of trivia:  Dick Hyman is the whistler on the hit recording by Johnny Ray of "Just Walking In The Rain"...

!!!

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I heard "The Minotaur" from his first Moog LP back then on AFN Europe - it blew my mind. Never found the record over here though, only the follow-up LP. Got the CD a few years ago - he was a pioneer, and a totally unprejudiced mind. That he is the same man that is an enyclopedia of historic jazz piano styles is amazing. 

Yes, truly incredible that it is all the same guy.

And don't forget all those Woody Allen scores!

Try to find Moon Gas if you can.  

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Try to find Moon Gas if you can.  

Far out! Now here's an iconic space age record. Never heard of this. Hyman recorded a lot for MGM, but somehow I'm not surprised the Lord Disco does not list this one, 

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Far out! Now here's an iconic space age record. Never heard of this. Hyman recorded a lot for MGM, but somehow I'm not surprised the Lord Disco does not list this one, 

It's rare as hens' teeth.  There have been vinyl reissues, probably all sourced from vinyl.  i don't think it has ever been legitimately on CD.

Don't miss "Brazilian Impressions" on Command. It has a nice semi-authentic rhythm/percussion section and Clark Terry on flugelhorn. Dick Hyman himself sounds mainstreamingly pianistic in a way that suits his somewhat eccentric but pleasant arrangements for a woodwind-heavy ensemble.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Don't miss "Brazilian Impressions" on Command. It has a nice semi-authentic rhythm/percussion section and Clark Terry on flugelhorn. Dick Hyman himself sounds mainstreamingly pianistic in a way that suits his somewhat eccentric but pleasant arrangements for a woodwind-heavy ensemble.

Yes, it is a hidden gem in his catalog.  Anyone who thinks that all Command albums are schlock should hear this one (and a few others).