The Big Beat

10 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I:m looking for a copy of the 1958 movie The Big Beat.

MV5BYmIxMmNkNmYtNWI5Ni00NzQ2LWI4NzUtOTMx

Plenty of music in the film, as you can see. Please pm me if you have this film in any form.

I have it on a VHS cassette that I could probbly copy onto a DVD but the movie is not exactly a first-generation copy. It was copied from some foreign TV station showing a long time ago and I don't know after how many intermediate copies it ended up on that cassette friends in France gave me in the early 90s to copy the movie for myself. It IS watchable, though.

(BTW, the Youtube excerpts from that movie aren't really in much better picture quality either)

As for the contents - ho hum ... trying to squeeze the older-generation stars into some (non-?) plot around how to cope with (and rein in??) R'n'R. To be taken with a fair grain of salt and just for the fun of it as a document of its times. Though I can see you'd like to watch it for Cal Tjader (right? ;)).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Though I can see you'd like to watch it for Cal Tjader (right? ;)).

Absolutely right! It would be great if you could arrange to make a DVD copy - I'll gladly cover the costs. I just want to see it and verify the tunes and personnel of the Tjader performance for the updated second edition of the Tjader biography and discography due in two or three years.