John Abercrombie and Jack DeJohnette

Milestones

I've been following this pairing lately, aided by the recent acquisition of a couple of early DeJohnette records--when Abercrombie was in the group.  These are some fine records--especially New Rags--though they seem practically lost to history.  There have, of course, been 4 Gateway records; I have all of them.  Shouldn't Gateway convene at least once more, while everyone is still alive and active?  

The guitarist and drummer have met up at least a dozen times, thought it's been a while.  The last I know of was on the John Surman record, Brewster's Rooster.

I have two playlists (CD length) of the work of these two.  I believe they bring out much adventure and creativity in each other.

Your thoughts and recommendations....

When I was head of the jazz concert commission at SUNY-Binghamton 1974-75, our last concert was a free one with the DeJohnette/Abercrombie group with Alex Foster and Peter Warren (Sorcery was DeJohnette's current album; the group I described played on his next album Cosmic Chicken).  They all drove up from Woodstock for the gig.  What I remember most is that at one point during the show, the band members all switched instruments (I think by passing the instrument to the musician on his right); so Abercrombie played drums for awhile, etc.  It was a lot of fun.

15 hours ago, Milestones said:

I've been following this pairing lately, aided by the recent acquisition of a couple of early DeJohnette records--when Abercrombie was in the group.  These are some fine records--especially New Rags--though they seem practically lost to history.  There have, of course, been 4 Gateway records; I have all of them.  Shouldn't Gateway convene at least once more, while everyone is still alive and active?  

I saw Gateway at Yoshi's in the summer of 2001.  Not sure if there's been anything more recent.

If you feel up to showing him your appreciation personally, John Abercrombie is currently in the hospital. He could use a few "Get Well" cards to lift his spirits. The mailing address is:

John Abercrombie
Room PCU 2027 Intensive Care Unit
C/O Hudson Valley Hospital
1980 Crompound Road
Cortland, New York 10567

From http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/announcements-suggestions-forum-help/60775-john-abercrombie-hospitalized-sick-please-send-healing-thoughts-hopes.html