HELP@ Whatever Happened To Jacy Parker????

JSngry

• 4 weeks later...

DAMN!!!! Did you buy it, or might it still be there?

I really like her pocket, it's very solid. The band is able to engage with it rather than accommodate it. Maybe not a real obvious thing, but if you play with enough singers, you get to where you can tell which is which. She seems like she would have been a gas to play with. Her self-comping is just in there.

On Hebron west off I-35, not too far from Vista Ridge Mall. However, it is a rarity to find good records there.

That's the only Jacy Parker album listed in the Goldmine Jazz Records Price Guide, with a 1962 release date.

Edited by kh1958

Don Cinderella just laying it down, hard, but dig - she's giving him the room to do that, she's in there with him. So many times you hear this "type" of singer and they have great players behind them, but you can tell they are "adjusting" a little bit because if they really swung hard, opened up that pocket, it would get too diffuse for the singer to follow. A singer's timing is funny, it's like baseball, split microseconds, as much or more intuitive/reflexive as it is anything. Not really a "problem", but still, people (plural) letting it flow, always a good thing, no matter what kind of music it is.

This is not a problem with Jacy Parker, even if it's a fixed quantity in terms of repertoire and vibe, the pocket is just groovy. If find it puzzlesome that she had this thing going on, made the one record, and then, what. vaporized? There should be some trace, somewhere. But damned if I can find one.

• 4 months later...

Still, not a very common record, so not so bad, even at HPB pricing levels.

Lately, I'm a bit obsessed with Norgran/Clef/Verve LPs--there's so much interesting music on the label(s), and the label seems both a lot more common than the independent jazz labels in these parts and rather underappreciated by jazz record buyers and listeners.

They had this in the locked section, which was where I was afraid they would be hiding Jacy Parker...

art-tatum-benny-carter-the-three-giants-

6 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Lately, I'm a bit obsessed with Norgran/Clef/Verve LPs--there's so much interesting music on the label(s), and the label seems both a lot more common than the independent jazz labels in these parts and rather underappreciated by jazz record buyers and listeners.

HAve you visited this thread yet?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Do a search for goddamn shame on Dusty Groove and you get one - only one - result:

https://www.dustygroove.com/search.php?sf=goddamn+shame

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/589921?kwfilter=Jacy+Parker&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&sort_order=artist

The spotlight's on Jacy Parker, but the lady only seems to have cut this solitary album for Verve – which is a goddamn shame, because the record's so great! The album's a sweetly swinging set that features Jacy on both piano and vocals – working in a small combo with Ernie Royal on trumpet, Don Cinderella on bass, and either Roy James or Sticks Evans on drums – all in a fresh, almost playful sort of style that's quite different from straighter jazz or torch vocals of the time! Jacy's piano stylings are sometimes a bit bold, but her vocals are too – clearly that type of singing that helped her out in the small hours in the clubs – with a depth that recalls Chris Connor or June Christy at their mid 50s heights. The album's a wonderful lost treasure from Verve – a real breath of freshness at a time when the label was really losing their touch for vocalists – and titles include "Here Comes Trouble Again", "Guess Who I Saw Today", "Sweet William", "Long Gone Love", "But Beautiful", "You Mean Old World", and "You're The Cream In My Coffee".

Yeah, I thought that was a bit steep too.

But it's a damn good record. I'd go up to 20 on it, maybe, if it was a clean copy. but DG says "Very Good", which in their secret language translates to me as there's gonna be noise on this record, so 15 tops for me.

But I do wish them well and hope that it goes to a good home that will appreciate the groovy little micro-niche that it occupies.

And still now - Whatever Happened To Jacy Parker????       

• 9 months later...

We've been working on the "Jacy Case" for almost 46 years now, and we've handed it over to our top Jazz detective, Jonathan Staccato, who has taken into account a thorough description of the victim involved, extremely attractive female, hard swinging pianist and singer, and come up with a profile of the unsub:

1) Wealthy male in his mid-80s, with the necessary amount of wealth to isolate the victim in a cage, large enough to fit a Grand piano, microphone boom stand, premium PA system and toilet and shower.

2) Said male obviously a "Jazz Freak".

3) Said male obviously a perv, who enjoys filming Jacy naked each night singing suggestive Cole Porter tunes and the like, while he adds to his DVD collection of her performances.

4) Said male probably contains intense knowledge of genetic techniques such as cloning, splicing, etc..., because he has most likely been breeding Jacies over the years, due to the natural decay of the original Jacy.

We've made substantial progress over the 46 odd years that this case has been passed over from investigator to investigator due to factors such as retirement, burnout, frustration, etc..., and expect results within the next decade or so. That is alll.

JS

I would not at all be surprised if spent years working as a single/solo playing lounge gigs where she was expected - by everybody except herself - to be just a pretty girl playing piano and singing bar songs, shut up, look good, and play those bar songs. That's what you're here for, that's all you're good for. You know how this business is, especially then, and especially for women. Gangsters, drunks, pervs, and misogynists, sometimes all in one, sometimes all over the place, but almost always there somewhere, in the way and impossible to get rid of.

The Verve record might have been the best she ever got in terms of musical gratification and perhaps seemingly endless frustration ensued. What comes from that, who knows...all sorts of things are possible. Hopefully she found her own truth and beauty, if not in music, then elsewhere. It's there once/if you can find a place where "they" aren't.

If she's alive, I hope she realizes that she made a totally kickass record and that there's at least one person who will love her forever for doing that. Probably more than one, no doubt.