HELP@ Whatever Happened To Jacy Parker????

JSngry

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I would not at all be surprised if spent years working as a single/solo playing lounge gigs where she was expected - by everybody except herself - to be just a pretty girl playing piano and singing bar songs, shut up, look good, and play those bar songs. That's what you're here for, that's all you're good for. You know how this business is, especially then, and especially for women. Gangsters, drunks, pervs, and misogynists, sometimes all in one, sometimes all over the place, but almost always there somewhere, in the way and impossible to get rid of.

The Verve record might have been the best she ever got in terms of musical gratification and perhaps seemingly endless frustration ensued. What comes from that, who knows...all sorts of things are possible. Hopefully she found her own truth and beauty, if not in music, then elsewhere. It's there once/if you can find a place where "they" aren't.

If she's alive, I hope she realizes that she made a totally kickass record and that there's at least one person who will love her forever for doing that. Probably more than one, no doubt.

Back in the day I was good friends with a superb Chicago singer-pianist named Shelly Litt. Talking about bona fides, for a while she was the girlfriend of Joe Daley Trio bassist Russell Thorne (his "Knell for Shel" is dedicated to her) -- they were a volatile couple to be sure. At this distance in time and having no recorded evidence of how she sounded, (Shelly and Judy Roberts went to the same high school, Shelly a year or so older, and Shelly said that Judy copped her style from her, but Shelly was in a different class)  I can only say that she was a jazz singer through and through, and that there were (thinking of what you said above about Jacy Parker) virtually no places, no managers, no club owners that would or could make room for her to do what she could do. Shelly married another talented bassist Clyde Flowers (not a happy union I believe) went off to LA with him and eventually I lost track of her. Last time we talked sone years ago (on the phone) she was singing in L.A. area retirement homes; I think just doing so as a volunteer. Sic transit gloria.

P.S. Flowers was a musical associate at one time of Bill Mathieu.

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

And the replacement for Russell Thorne in the Joe Daley Trio.

And the replacement for Russell with Shelly. 

Didn't Donald Garrett take over on bass for Russell initially? I know I heard Garrett with the trio at a club on Sheridan Rd. near Loyola and heard Joe express his preference for Garrett's playing over Thorne's. Lord that group was a psychodrama.