How effective is itunes store search?

Hi David,

I had this same problem a while back searching for some (apparently) exclusive Sam Rivers albums. Try this. Bring up any (one) album. Then click the "Keith Jarrett" link under that album title. This should go to a main page with a colour photo of Jarrett (or whatever artist you're searching) and all his albums will appear underneath. 

But the albums are grouped - ECM albums, Solo Recordings, Recordings with Peacock & DeJohnette and so on.

The Aussie store looks like this...

2qa2uiq.jpg

To be honest I hardly ever download, but I'm glad Scott Dolan mentioned it was clunky, I thought it was just me too!

Edited by Marzz
to add a pic.

Apple Music and iTunes search have a few issues that combine together to be annoying:

1. They are too specific. Often if you look for something that is not in the tagged meta-data but which you know is there, nothing comes up.

2. They are not specific enough. Often if you search for search keywords you will get hits for completely irrelevant keywords that are just a letter or two off. This is obviously an attempt to alleviate (1), but it actually just makes the whole thing seem more broken.

3. The engine won't show you everything that's in the catalog, because the catalog is too big. I'm not sure why they do this. Spotify is better about this.

The solution is to combine Apple, Spotify, Amazon, YouTube and Google (you can do a search like 'keywords i want site:itunes.apple.com') until you can narrow down to just the thing you need. It's not ideal. That said, I have a bit of sympathy for the poor engineers who have to build this. Music meta-data is not the easiest thing in the world to index and search through, and natural language text search is a harder problem than we realize after being spoiled by what google does. But what google does will not directly help here, necessarily, because it's a much more specific domain with specific expectations.

Oh well.

13 hours ago, David Ayers said:

It's not just me then! :(

It seems bizarre they can't get this right...

Agreed. iTunes was never great to begin with, and has gotten slightly worse over the years, IMO. 

I love Apple's hardware, but their software, for the most part, is just short of abysmal. 

Unless it's iPhoto. Which is the biggest software tragedy that has ever been visited upon mankind. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I hate the later I tunes.  I don't download much, but I used to store a lot of my recording masters on my I Tunes as waves files. Then suddenly they changed it so you could not copy and paste a track from one program to another. Why did they do this? Because techies who re-make these programs have to justify their employment by constantly changing interfaces. Paypal does the same crap, as did Chase Bank recently. And each time they do, it all becomes less user friendly.