COUNT BASIE ZONE....

EKE BBB

I know it's probably sacrilege but I put Basie before Duke. Old testament, New Testament; they can just play the hell out of it. Wish I had the Studio Mosaic.

It's sacriledge Brad! :)

I can understand you're feeling that way. . . I love them both but Ellington has the leading edge with me.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Live at Birdland" - I've had that on LP forever. Actually, 2 very scratched copies. So, was I glad when it was offered up (with add'l cuts) on itunes. It is also now available on CD at the Mosaic Records website. Only drag is they didn't seem to improve upon the sound very much. Maybe it is harder to improve sound on a live recording? At any rate, the band is burnin' and I love all the little side comments - at one point during "One O'Clock Jump" you hear someone say, "Sass, Baby" and you know Sarah Vaughan walked in ;-).

Also, credit due to the band in the late 60's/early 70's when drummer Harold Jones propelled the band, along with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Al Grey.

I guess you could say any and all Basie aggregations have merit.

Marla

I was a pretty mild Basie fan only owning the 2-CD Complete Decca set, "Satch and Josh" w/Oscar Peterson (excellent!) and "Basie and Zoot" w/Zoot Sims. I saw that Amazon UK was selling the Mosaic (Universal) Clef-Verve box set a while back for about $63.00 delivered so I couldn't resist springing for that. That set lit the Basie fire in me and now I'm a convert! Since then I was able to acquire the Roulette Studio Mosaic and I love that stuff as well. Joe Williams and the Basie band were made for each other! These bands could SWING and I LOVE how the band could be blowing your hair back then Basie would come in on the lull with his minimalistic but potent/spot-on little solos.

"Live at Birdland" - I've had that on LP forever. Actually, 2 very scratched copies. So, was I glad when it was offered up (with add'l cuts) on itunes. It is also now available on CD at the Mosaic Records website. Only drag is they didn't seem to improve upon the sound very much. Maybe it is harder to improve sound on a live recording? At any rate, the band is burnin' and I love all the little side comments - at one point during "One O'Clock Jump" you hear someone say, "Sass, Baby" and you know Sarah Vaughan walked in ;-).

Also, credit due to the band in the late 60's/early 70's when drummer Harold Jones propelled the band, along with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Al Grey.

I guess you could say any and all Basie aggregations have merit.

Marla

Hmmm.. . .I really like the sound on the Mosaic of this lp session, very dynamic.

I am a big Basie fan too; my collection consists of roughly 75 cd's covering 1937 until 1983, most of them are big band recordings, but I also have some small groups including all the sessions with Oscar Peterson. IMHO his best bands were the ones from 1937-1944 and the new testament band (1957-1960). Apart from the already mentioned Decca and Columbia sets and the three Mosaic sets I would like to add the following recommendations:

- Jubilee Alternatives (Hep): these are sensational V-disc recordings from 1943-44 in great sound

- Count On The Coast Vol. 1, Count On The Coast Vol. 2, Basie's Golden '58 (all on the Swedish Phontastic label): The New Testament Band in full flight recorded live, great sound too

- The Kansas City Seven (MCA): Wonderful small group session with Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Eric Dixon

- First Time! The Count Meets The Duke (Columbia): meeting of arguably the two most important big bands in jazz

- The Kansas City Seven (MCA): Wonderful small group session with Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Eric Dixon

To prevent others from (maybe) getting lost, better point out that the original label of this was IMPULSE and that this is the "new" version" of The Kansas City Seven (and not to be confused with the early 40s lineup including Lester young that recorded for Keynote).

I agree with all your other special recommendations (though my 60 or so Basie LP's - plus some CD's - place a bit more emphasis on the 30s and 40s, but I also appreciate the Verve and Roulette era very much - plus certain Pablos).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

To prevent others from (maybe) getting lost, better point out that the original label of this was IMPULSE and that this is the "new" version" of The Kansas City Seven (and not to be confused with the early 40s lineup including Lester young that recorded for Keynote).

I agree with all your other special recommendations (though my 60 or so Basie LP's - plus some CD's - place a bit more emphasis on the 30s and 40s, but I also appreciate the Verve and Roulette era very much - plus certain Pablos).

Thank you Big Beat Steve, for specifying. You are completely right. The complete lienup of this 1962 session, originally issued on the Impulse label is: Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Frank Foster or Eric Dixon, Count Basie, Freddie Green, Ed Jones, Sonny Payne. And the track list is:

1. Oh Lady Be Good (G. Gershwin)

2. Secrets (F. Wess)

3. I Want A Little Girl (Mencher / Moll)

4. Shoe Shine Boy (Cahn / Chaplin)

5. Count's Place (C. Basie)

6. Senator Whitehead (F. Wess)

7. Tally Ho, Mr. Basie! (C. Basie)

8. What'cha Talkin'? (Th. Jones)

Edited by Tommy T

That particular records reminds me of something odd I've been wondering about for a long time:

A few years ago I bought this record along with other Basie LP's in one single lot from a private seller, and this K.C.7 item came in a mint IMPULSE gatefold cover (U.S. pressing); however, the record inside was on the MCA "rainbow" label (with light blue background) and stated both the MCA AND the Impulse record No. on the label.

Did somebody replace a (maybe worn) original record with a more recent pressing or were there pressing runs that combined the older original cover and more recent vinyls/labels (maybe because there was an overstock of covers to be used up)?

Anybody got an idea?

Some more favourites of mine from periods generally not rated as high as the Decca/Columbia and the Roulette eras:

- At The Sands (Reprise) 1966: Live recording of the instrumental set played by the Basie Big Band preceding the famous Basie/Sinatra concert at the Las Vegas Hotel mentioned in the title

- Standing Ovation (Dot): Live recording from 1969 by a strong edition of the Basie Big Band (Harry Edison, Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis, Harold Jones) playing evergreens from the Basie book

- Basie Big Band (Pablo) 1975: Arrangements by Sammy Nestico, key soloists Al Grey, Jimmy Forrest, Butch Miles

- I Told You So (Pablo) 1976: Arrangements by Bill Holman

• 5 months later...

Wow James, you're really discovering some great music lately, must be the new rig! :)

So much to discover, and as with Ellington, so many ways to go.

I just finished listening to a recently reissued one that is well worth getting, the fantastic New Testament band "Live at Birdland" (Roulette).

I've been listening to a lot of the New Testament band lately, including the Mosaic box.

I'll always love this one, though. Great charts and a great band.

41E7271BK4L._AA240_.jpg

Discovering a previously-unheard Basie side is one of the great pleasures of life. :rsmile:

Yes, Chairman of the Board is a wonderful album. I've recently acquired the early chapters of the New Testament, so to speak, in the form of a 44 track 2CD release on the British Jasmine label called Count Basie Dance Sessions. As is so often the case with best-selling records, critical response to The Atomic Mr Basie is very divided, but it gets my vote with its wonderful Hefti compostions and arrangements and superlative Lockjaw Davis tenor work. But call me prejudiced, as I've never recovered from being on the front row of the Free Trade Hall Manchester in 1958 as the band went through the Atomic repertoire!

I've been listening to a lot of the New Testament band lately, including the Mosaic box.

I'll always love this one, though. Great charts and a great band.

41E7271BK4L._AA240_.jpg

Discovering a previously-unheard Basie side is one of the great pleasures of life. :rsmile:

This is one of the best by the New Testament Band. "Blues In Hoss' Flat" is one of my all time favorite Basie selections, great arrangement by Frank Foster.

The "dance sessions" are indeed great! The best way to get them, as well as lots of other good Basie material, including the great first album with Joe Williams, is by getting the Clef/Verve Mosaic.

As for Roulette, I like the Atomic album, too - Lockjaw being the big asset there, to me!

If you want to check out a later album of Basie's, I'd recommended "Basie Plays Bond", a pretty cool United Artists album (recently reissued on CD by Blue Note) based on some tunes from early Bond films, including of course the famous 007 theme song. Davis is great on that one as well!

The main gap of course is still the Columbia period - some of that will be covered in the new Mosaic set with Prez's Basie sides, some other parts are covered in the Sony 4CD set "America's Band #1" (inlcuding most or all of the 1950/51 octet studio sessions and a full disc of fantastic live material previously to be found on Masters of Jazz discs, which alas are OOP but would be the best way to cover the missing Columbia period... at least the first years, I'm not sure how far they came before the label vanished).

So to fill the gap you'd have to get all the Classics plus some Neatworks for the alternative takes. There's also the Definitive route for master takes only, but those boxes are very crappy in all respects, someone kind made burns for me (ripping of the thieves...), but I got most of the music in other form anyway by now.

The "dance sessions" are indeed great! The best way to get them, as well as lots of other good Basie material, including the great first album with Joe Williams, is by getting the Clef/Verve Mosaic.

As for Roulette, I like the Atomic album, too - Lockjaw being the big asset there, to me!

If you want to check out a later album of Basie's, I'd recommended "Basie Plays Bond", a pretty cool United Artists album (recently reissued on CD by Blue Note) based on some tunes from early Bond films, including of course the famous 007 theme song. Davis is great on that one as well!

The main gap of course is still the Columbia period - some of that will be covered in the new Mosaic set with Prez's Basie sides, some other parts are covered in the Sony 4CD set "America's Band #1" (inlcuding most or all of the 1950/51 octet studio sessions and a full disc of fantastic live material previously to be found on Masters of Jazz discs, which alas are OOP but would be the best way to cover the missing Columbia period... at least the first years, I'm not sure how far they came before the label vanished).

So to fill the gap you'd have to get all the Classics plus some Neatworks for the alternative takes. There's also the Definitive route for master takes only, but those boxes are very crappy in all respects, someone kind made burns for me (ripping of the thieves...), but I got most of the music in other form anyway by now.

Another vote her for Chairman of the Board. I like it much better than Atomic Basie.

A period of Count Basie's recording career that's often overlooked (and was overlooked by me until very recently) is his early 1947 to early 1950 sessions for RCA. I picked up The Indispensable Count Basie (RCA/Jazz Tribune) a few months ago, and have enjoyed listening to that music a lot. The music consists of both big band and small group sessions. For me, the most interesting thing was hearing Paul Gonsalves playing with Basie before he went with Duke - a fair amount of good Gonsalves on these sides.

Let us not forget that between the Old Testament and the New Testament comes the Octet, featuring Wardell Gray, Gene Ammons, Charlie Rouse, Serge Chaloff, Buddy DeFranco and Buddy Rich.

Dood grief! I didn't know Jug recorded with Basie! What album is that material on please?

MG

Count Basie Octet

Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) Dicky Wells (tb) Georgie Auld (ts) Gene Ammons (ts, bars) Count Basie (p) Freddie Green (g) Al McKibbon (b) Gus Johnson (d) "Google Eyes" (vo) The Deep River Boys: J. August, H. Douglas, E. Ware, G. Lawson, V. Gardner (vocal group) Buck Clayton (arr)

NYC, February 6, 1950

E0VB-3187-1 If You See My Baby RCA Victor LPM 1112; RCA [F] 741042, [F] PM 42113; RCA Bluebird 66158-2

E0VB-3187-2 If You See My Baby (inst. ver.) unissued

E0VB-3188-1 Solid As A Rock RCA Victor 20-3699, 47-3235; RCA [F] 741042

E0VB-3189-1 Rat Race RCA Victor LPM 1112, LPV 519; RCA [F] 741042, [F] PM 43688; RCA Bluebird 66158-2

E0VB-3190-1 Sweets RCA Victor LPM 1112; RCA [F] 741042, [F] PM 42113, [F] PM 43688; RCA Bluebird 66158-2

* Count Basie (RCA Victor LPM 1112)

* Count Basie 1949-1950, Vol. 3 (RCA [F] 741042)

* Various Artists - The Bebop Era (RCA Victor LPV 519)

* Count Basie Octet (no details) (RCA [F] PM 42113; RCA Bluebird 66158-2; RCA Victor 20-3699, 47-3235; RCA [F] PM 43688)