SOLD 70+ jazz cassettes

Sh.t ..... :excited:

Those boxes hold more prerecorded jazz cassettes than I've probably ever seen in any record shop through that "cassette" period at any specific moment in one place. Those prerecorded cassettes always were a total niche thing here, particularly in the jazz field. I think the only place where I ever saw more than 5 or 6 jazz items at one time was at our local library. :g

After my cassette deck bit the dust, I recently traded in the last of my cassettes at McKay's in Chattanooga.  They only recently started taking them -- this summer, I think.  With LPs selling like hotcakes, are cassettes the next "everything old is new again" phenomenon?

Most of my remaining cassettes were rock & pop, but there were quite a few jazz titles as well.  Two that I plan to track down and re-purchase in LP or CD format: Carla Bley Big Band - Fleur Carnivore (ECM) and John Carter - Fields (Gramavision).

Edited by HutchFan

Everything's around if you know where to look and don't mind going there.

But seriously...some of those name-brand labels used good tape and sounded good enough back in the day, especially if you didn't do any rewinding on them and cleaned your heads regular (and regularly) and so forth. I still have a lot of cassettes, especially of gospel music. It was going to be my co-to medium because so many of the early CDs were, like, empty sounding POSs, like, WHOA, no scratches! and I was like, WHOA no body to that "sound". But then it all worked out. Still, I kept my cassettes and still hold out hope of getting the scarcer ones of them onto CD some day when I have a few months free and am too unfocused to do anything else.  But if anybody wants to come over and hang until it gets done (i.e. - do it for me), I'll by you a 40 and a Party Size bag of the Doritos of your choice.  Non-negotiable, btw. I ain't in THAT big of a hurry.

If you're listening in a car, I don't think that audio benchmarking is worth the time, keep you eyes on the road, jsut crank it up and drive the car, let it go at that, quit while you're ahead/before you wreck yourself up,but there will probably be a time or two when a still new-ish tape might have more presence in a car than on early hollow CD. But tape does deteriorate.

My cars have always been older, so I went for the car adapter to play my CDs and iPod through the car's cassette system. That should tell you how picky I am about audio quality in a car. Hell, if I had a car with an 8-Track, I'd still go with that, if I had any 8-Tracks left that still played, and I don't think I do. Anybody want to come over with a car that has a plyer, do so, we can drive, I got everything from The Golden Flute to Ella/Nat Capitol Christmas things to On The Corner. I'm not eclectic, I'm jsut fucking indiscriminate.

This thread has me thinking I need to dig my boxes of casettes out. I have a Sony Miles Davis 'Pangaea' amongst other things, as well as some BBC jazz programmes recorded off of FM radio back in the 1970s. That stuff would be worth transferring.

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I have one in my car.

I still have one (gathering dust). It runs off of North American mains though and needs a step-down transformer. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

My car has a cassette player in addition to the 6-disc built-in changer.
Soooo many cassettes here - some of which need to be transferred
because the stuff is probably only on someone's reels at a radio station.

I even have this on cassette:

YTW9y1M.jpg

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

My car has a cassette player in addition to the 6-disc built-in changer.
Soooo many cassettes here - some of which need to be transferred
because the stuff is probably only on someone's reels at a radio station.

I even have this on cassette:

YTW9y1M.jpg

:tup

I've thought about selling it someday,
but the label on Side A of the first cassette was
missing when I bought it new back in '87
and so that (and it being on cassettes)
may make it hard to sell, so I keep it.

(There is a guy on Discogs who's asking $480!) 

Edited by rostasi