Looking for Roland Kirk-Complete Mercury Recording

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks J.A.W. I read a review on Amazon and this person said it included some latin stuff & a date where Quincy Jones conducted. Kirk was sideman on both. What albums would they be? And is it possible to get "Now Please Don't You Cry..." without buying "Rip Rig & Panic" as a two-fer?

This is a great set. The first box set I bought and it has seen some heavy rotation.

As far as I know Edith has only been released paired with RR&Panic. Probably there's an expensive Japanese issue for money that buys you several of the twofers though.

The VME of Domino features some stuff not in the box, otherwise, the box is the way to go. Kirk is a master and each alternate take is actually more than just another recording to correct mistakes, it's usually a completely new & original rendering. Just compare the solo on the two versions of Blues for Alice that start of the box and which are both included on the We Free Kings CD. The guy way AMAZING.

The box was offered by zweitausendeins at an abysmal low price in the past, which means you may still find it at a good price. This seller from amazon marketplace has a set for 116EUR, add 14EUR p&p to that to make a total of some 155 US$ delivered to your doorstep. Quite a good price for an 11 disk set, I'd say. I paid more for mine, much less for a zweitausendeins copy for a friend though.

Don't listen to Couw ( ;) )

You can easily get this for $100. I bought mine on ebay for said amount. Amazon probably has some used copies for sale as well.

Just check out ebay. Someone is always selling them.

Couw is correct in saying that it is a great set. Because it is a box set, I don't give it nearly the playing time that it deserves. I'm just that way with box sets.

Paul's right, don't listen to me. His advice is cool, but of course I checked all those outlets before posting. No sets on ebay currently ("Just check out ebay. Someone is always selling them." <_< ), and none on amazon.com either. Still, if you can sit & wait, the set can indeed be had for less than 150$.

Paul's right, don't listen to me. His advice is cool, but of course I checked all those outlets before posting. No sets on ebay currently ("Just check out ebay. Someone is always selling them." <_< ), and none on amazon.com either. Still, if you can sit & wait, the set can indeed be had for less than 150$.

:g

TRUE STORY

Couldn't resist stating that this box set qualifies as my all time "steal". About 7-8 years ago, I went to a CD store in Boca Raton which had (and still has) quite a few 2nd hand CDs for purchase. I picked up the Kirk box, went to the desk and asked how much. Clerk said "$25". I raised my eyebrows in shock, and obviously thinking that I thought the price was too high rather than excessively low, he comes back with "OK, I'll let you have it for $20". (!!!!! :party::party: )

I took out the cash immediately, (no credit card, didn't want the clerk to have any extra time to think about it) and walked out happy as a lark.

When I went home, I pulled my CD copies of WE FREE KINGS and DOMINO off the shelf. A couple of weeks later I revisited the store and the same clerk then told me, "Boy, you got some buy last time - I thought that the Kirk box was only a 3 CD set; my boss was really pissed off". I gave him the two Kirk CDs which I was going to trade for credit, and told him instead to to thank his boss by giving him the CDs. He said the hell with that, I'll keep these Kirks for myself". :rolleyes:

Martin

TRUE STORY:

I got mine on ebay and had to fend off another bidder. The seller had offered a buy-it-now price along with a lower starting bid. This other guy and I kept bidding it up and we went above the buy-it-now price.

I emailed the guy to tell him to lay up (it's called buyer's collusion ;) ), otherwise, I'd have some "friends" visit him in the night...no, just kidding! A guy by the name of Berigan would be visiting him who is (quote) "all muscle!" :lol:

Actually, I told him that I wasn't going to go any higher and that we should decide then and there who should get the set. He told me to go for it and that he had already gone past his price.

I think I paid $90+ but it was under $100.

yeah well, I just went into the store, told the guy to get the box of the highest shelve and sell it to me. Cost me a foot and and an arm, but I have never regretted it. Don't wait too long to get this set. There will always be better prices after the fact. I got the second set I bought for my friend for 50 EUR, probably less than a third for what I paid. You need the fun this music brings into your life. Face it.

and paul: quit bothering me and start listening to this set willya! :g