Prestige is back.

GA Russell

I see tonight that there is a young (born 1991) singer named Jazzmeia Horn.  Here is her Wikipedia bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazzmeia_Horn

She has a new album called A Social Call which is on the Prestige label.  You will note that the Prestige logo of ca. 1966 is used.

https://www.amazon.com/Social-Call-Jazzmeia-Horn/dp/B06XJ5Y1CD/

Anybody know anything about Concord's plans for the label?

I got an email from Concord today pimping the new St. Vincent/ Taj Mahal, Keb' Mo, Kidz Bop, and DJDS  sides, no mention of anything Prestige or Jazzmeia Horn.

No mention of this release on the Concord's  Prestige label page: http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/labels/prestige/

but the label does have her album on the home page, down past Steve Martin and other peoples up top http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/a-social-call/

I'd be expecting a relaunch/rejuvenation/whateveronly if I was already expecting everything else first.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Especially if they're doing another one of those package tours!

Well, considering how dead jazz is to the general public the Zombie Jazz Jam 2017 Tour might be just what the genre needs!  Just change the words in the riff in "Salt Peanuts" to "Braaaaains" and they might even have a hit!

On 7/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, bertrand said:

A couple of friends of mine were in the Monk vocal competition and should have come ahead of Jazzmeia Horn who is very mannered IMHO.

Bertrand.

Can't say that she's the worst would-be jazz vocalist I've ever heard, but she's in the running. Intonation?!!  As for comparisons to Betty Carter -- don't make me laugh.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Can't say that she's the worst would-be jazz vocalist I've ever heard, but she's in the running. Intonation?!!  As for comparisons to Betty Carter -- don't make me laugh.

Betty Carter could fuck the melody every possible way and still keep a lyrical coherence. She's not even coming close to doing that here, better in the second chorus than the first, but is that really what's wanted, start weak, then get a little stronger, and then a disposable piano solo? A grimace and then a yawn?

As the HOF backhanded compliment goes, I really hear what she's trying to do. But...record date, ok? It's going to be compared to other records, and if you tell me to think about Betty Carter, well, don't do that unless you want me to do that, which I surely as hell will. I don't hear any real intonation problems, I hear harmonic choices, but I'm a lifetime witness to the fact that intention is the receivement of the signal from the catcher and the beginning, just the beginning of, of the windup, Then her comes the pitch (no pun intended, and that's execution. Execution's a bitch.

I would also suggest that choices like she's making succeed more when delivered with a timbre that withstands resistance. You can't allow room for somebody to think about Betty Carter, you got to bring something that makes them say oh shit, who the hell is THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Let them think about Betty Carter after the shock wear off and they're trying to process what they just heard. Like, if Betty Carter never shocks you, you ain't hearing Betty Carter, ok?

Having said all that, I wish her luck, and Courage (as per Dan Rather), and more than anything else, fearless growth.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Betty Carter could fuck the melody every possible way and still keep a lyrical coherence. She's not even coming close to doing that here, better in the second chorus than the first, but is that really what's wanted, start weak, then get a little stronger, and then a disposable piano solo? A grimace and then a yawn?

As the HOF backhanded compliment goes, I really hear what she's trying to do. But...record date, ok? It's going to be compared to other records, and if you tell me to think about Betty Carter, well, don't do that unless you want me to do that, which I surely as hell will. I don't hear any real intonation problems, I hear harmonic choices, but I'm a lifetime witness to the fact that intention is the receivement of the signal from the catcher and the beginning, just the beginning of, of the windup, Then her comes the pitch (no pun intended, and that's execution. Execution's a bitch.

I would also suggest that choices like she's making succeed more when delivered with a timbre that withstands resistance. You can't allow room for somebody to think about Betty Carter, you got to bring something that makes them say oh shit, who the hell is THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Let them think about Betty Carter after the shock wear off and they're trying to process what they just heard. Like, if Betty Carter never shocks you, you ain't hearing Betty Carter, ok?

Having said all that, I wish her luck, and Courage (as per Dan Rather), and more than anything else, fearless growth.

Agree with the review in parts ( the second chorus is much stronger ) ; BUT the best part of the review is the last sentence!!!  Go Jim!! .......Celebrate the risk taking!!

MI0004231505.jpg

I'll give her credit for guts...leading off a debut album with "Tight"...wow. I hope it speaks to future goals rather than current assessment. I'm too old to go back in line for a line that ends up where I already was.

That's good, but...I was in front of the tv when this came on:

and this, see the lyrics still cohere (and she be dancing!)

More juice near death than a roomful of hungry young people, I hope they live long enough and smart enough to realize that you don't get there by going on a road that's already been made, you get there by taking a way that nobody's really taken, then you get there.

I know some people don't like Betty Carter all that much, but everybody's wrong about something. :)