Prestige is back.

GA Russell

I like how the special sale price sticker is pasted over another one, like, 2/$1.00 wasn't working, we GOT to move this shit one way or another. Believe me, in the old Treasure City bins, there was a bigass bin full of those poor little unwanted records. I got my Joe Daley RCA in a 3/$0.99 bin, which is more expensive than 4/$1.00, but I don't mind paying extra for quality.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/07/2017 at 8:52 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

so what yr sayin', is this is no longer the last new prestige release.....

A bit slow, but these were the last issued new albums on Prestige:

51RYakaGkQL.jpg

Funk Inc - Urban Renewal - PR11001 rec 9 Nov 1995 - Prod Bob Porter

and

R-8106269-1455258889-2552.jpeg.jpg

Chartbusters - Mating call - PR11002 rec 1 & 2 Oct 1995 - Prod Todd Barkan

MG

• 5 months later...

Having seen her live at the Coltrane Jazz Festival, I'm now a fan.  Yes, she is harsher and less sultry than Betty on the Betty tunes she does, and it took me a while to warm up.  She added in some lyrics about police brutality to Willow Weep For Me, and the stridency was right on target.  That was the moment that everything clicked, she was winning the audience over even before I jumped on board, then the crowd stood almost immediately for Lift Every Voice and Sing, which medleyed into Moanin' as on the CD.  I had listened on Spotify, but bought the CD there.  She has a lot of technical facility for her scat passages, and I thought she made them work musically.  Maybe 5 percent of the time Jeanne Lee is a better comparison than Betty, she can go a little avant.   Remember that approximately 100% of the human race is less sultry than Betty Carter and you might join me in appreciating that a younger generation musician thinks she's an influence worth idolizing.

• 2 months later...