BassDrumBone

BassDrumBone is actually a trio of bassist Mark Helias, drummer Gerry Hemingway and trombonist Ray Anderson. Right now they're celebrating the 40th anniversary of creating music with a continent jumping tour. Starting in New Haven just after the nation’s bi-centennial, each member had early playing and touring experience with composer/multi-instrumentalist Anthony Braxon. A review at www.bassdrumbone.com says of BassDrumBone’s music, “Variety is a predominant factor here.” Jazz From Blue Lake focuses on the 40th anniversary of BassDrumBone and their new double CD “The Long Road” under “Programs” found here today: www.bluelake.org/ondemand

IMO BassDrumBone is a super group (in the all star sense) comparable with any.  They offer something for everyone from straight ahead swing to a funky grooves.  Unfortunately their visits to the UK have been very few and far between but I did get to see them in their early days.  I've been a big fan ever since.  All their recordings can be recommended.

Forty years and still going is pretty remarkable in my book.

Edited by JohnS

• 2 weeks later...