previously unreleased Bud Powell

Claude Schlouch

6 hours ago, bertrand said:

Interesting! What label is releasing this?

Bertrand.

The label and reference are: Sinatra Society of Japan (Japan) XQAM-1648

The recording seems to be in the middle of 1953, but the broadcast is July 8, August 8th and 15th.

My friend Carl Smith heard the forthcoming material at the Library of Congress, 25 years ago and took some notes included in my late discography.

It’s not a dream, you can be surprised because it’s a real big surprise.

six years ago was a disscussion here:

the july, 08. 1953 nbc stars in jazz program from birdland  is split with Billy eckstine.

it´s in the nbc Radio collection.

years ago i searched online at the library of congress and printed the results out, but i can´t find it now online anymore (too complicated for me)

the shelf numbers are at that time: for the 07/08/1953 broadcast: RGA 2532 B2 

tracks are: lob; un poco loco; parisian thourofare; Dance of the infidels; lob.

shelf number for a 07/09/1953 broadcast: RGA 2531 B1; tracks are: Lob theme; Budo; Parisian t.; be still my heart; poco loco; l.o.b. theme.

shelf number for a 08/08/53 broadcast: rga 3757 (b1):  tracks: Budo, embraceable you; salt Peanuts; Billy eckstine sings: in my dreams, fine and Dandy among others. Note that mr. b. is not accompanied by bud powell; he has his own Pianist. with powell are george duvivier and art taylor.

i have only an old discography from claude schlouch, so this sessions are not in my book. maybe he can give more informations. 

i will order the cd but i think it will be a hight Price when it´s from Japan. 

Keep boppin´

marcel 

The Library of Congress website is a hot mess. You would never know they have boxes of copyright deposit lead sheets including unrecorded songs by composers such as Wayne Shorter, Tadd Dameron, Lee Morgan, Herbie Nichols, Gigi Gryce, Duke Pearson etc., including some songs otherwise lost in the Atlantic Fire. Useless project per the Librarians since some of the lead sheets have no chord changes. 15 years of sleuthing on my part dismissed by one bureaucratic asshole in a casual comment.

Bertrand.

I heard the stuff from july 53 , sets alternating with Mr. B, who´s also really great on that, as usual.

I love those live tracks and A.T´s drumming on it, discussed it once with Bichos (Marcel). On studio recordings you can´t hear him, but here his drummin is really a gas, and he does fantastic things on Un Poco Loco, and Budo.

Bud is still very much in control of the keyboard, he had his "un" years in 1954, 1955 but later he returned to much fine playing.

The only "downer" for me on all those 53 broadcasts is the very similar program on all of it. And most tunes are in the key of F. Even Mingus, one of Bud´s greatest admires had some critical remark about that, even if he exagerated it in his typical Mingus manner , as he said something that Bud could or would only play in the key of F.

I think, the first broadcast from february 53 is the best, with rare live versions of "Tea for Two", "Bean ´n the Boys aka Burt covers Bud", and a wonderful "It could happen to you".

And of course the stuff with Bird and Candido and the few with Diz (Woodyn You especially).

But it seems, that after may 1953 it became a routine, those from september 53 sometimes sound like if Bud wasn´t really interested any more in what he was doin.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love Bud and everything he played , though (as I mentioned above but didn´t have feedback) he did play a bit too much in the same key (F) in 1953 which even annoyed his greatest admirer Mingus, it´s almost  a sacrilege to "cut out Mr. B." Maybe I wouldn´t say that if I haven´t heard the Mr. B stuff too, but as this is historical performances and never again it will happen that you can hear all those guys they wrote book about -  during the course of one evening at Birdland, it might be great to hear it as a "whole thing"..........