Steve Lacy 1965-1972

clifford_thornton

It's from Emanem, so I'll be getting it.  Can't wait!

From their website:

Four sessions of music involving different degrees of free improvisation - all featuring STEVE LACY and KENT CARTER.
(1) DISPOSABILITY, the 1965 trio record with ALDO ROMANO which features versions of jazz standards and originals as well as some free improvisation. Originally issued in 1966 as Vik 200, this is the first reissue without distorted cymbal "tap dancer" noise.
(2) SORTIE, the 1966 quartet record with ENRICO RAVA added, based on free improvisation. Originally issued in 1966 as GTA 1002, this is the first complete reissue, and the first CD reissue with correct track titles.
(3) The previously unissued 1967 "FREE FALL" FILM CUES performed by a quintet with RAVA, KARL BERGER, & PAUL MOTIAN. Improvisation moulded to fit with mainly short visual film sequences.
(4) Finally, two previously unissued 1972 quintet pieces with STEVE POTTS (alto saxophone), IRENE AEBI (cello) and NOEL McGHIE (drums). The best recorded version of the Lacy original The Rush, and a partially controlled improvisation called The Thing.
124 minutes.

Available August

I'm stoked about this. I only have the grey-market version of Sortie.

Disposability is on my list of ten favorite Lacy albums. Great trio, great playing, and great program: Tunes by Monk, Cecil Taylor, and Carla Bley, improvisations, and Lacy's first recorded composition, "Barble." (Although he later claimed "The Way" as his "opus one." I'll keep my original vinyl, but it will be nice to have a remastered version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 10:32 AM, xybert said:

Used to have the Andorran reissue ... with the dodgy sound. This reissue is a godsend.

Very true. I listened to both discs today, and was amazed at how good these new transfers sound. The "tap-dancer" is completely gone from Disposability. Carter's bass is slightly more up-front, Lacy is a few feet back, and Romano, though slightly further back in the mix, is very clear. In fact, this new reissue had me pay attention to Romano's playing much closer than before. What a great free drummer he was during this period. What he has to say is much different than, say, Ed Blackwell or (especially) Sunny Murray. Romano puts a fair amount of space, or "windows," into his playing — the result is drumming that simultaneously explodes and floats.

The bonus sessions are good. The film cues are interesting (though I've never been able to get with Berger's playing), while the 1972 work on Disc 2 is amazing. I have to re-listen to those three tracks.

Today I made a personal burn of Disposability and Sortie to fit on one disc. They fit perfectly — 79:15. Great to listen to both albums back to back. I've also listened again recently to The Forest and The Zoo. Better than I've given it credit for over the years. I wish Rava and Lacy had stayed together for a few more albums.

And ... I hope Emanem keeps finding Lacy albums to reissue! I haven't picked up Cycles (from Emanem). Anyone here have it?

On 12/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, Late said:

I haven't picked up Cycles (from Emanem). Anyone here have it?

I've been listening to sound samples. They sound good, but I have so much solo Lacy that I need to revisit first. Still, that set is the only place to hear some Lacy compositions.

On 12/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, Late said:

And ... I hope Emanem keeps finding Lacy albums to reissue! I haven't picked up Cycles (from Emanem). Anyone here have it?

I got it as soon as it came out (of course). I'm across the country from my records and CDs and can't refresh my memory with a new spin, but I would say that it's good, but probably not great. Lots of good music, and a few pieces that are not to be found elsewhere, but overall not my favorite solo Lacy album. And I find the Hedges suite with a dancer just kind of odd as an audio experience. There are just too many hints that we're getting little more than half the performance. Essential for Lacy near-competists like me, but not for anyone else, probably.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:03 PM, jeffcrom said:

Essential for Lacy near-competists like me, but not for anyone else, probably.

This was my impression (based solely on sound samples) as well.

I have to return to Remains. I remember being blown away the first time I heard it. Solo Lacy is so different than Lacy in a trio; it's like talking about different varieties of wine.