Amazon customer service question

Does any one know how I go about contacting a customer service rep at Amazon?  My problem is I recently received an order that was supposed to contain two items.  The original envelope that Amazon had shipped the order in arrived torn and opened.  it came inside another envelope from the carrier who delivered it.  I'm assuming the Amazon envelope was  torn in transit and one of the items from my order fell out and got lost.  If I request a replacement or refund, Amazon wants me to return an item I did not receive and don't have.  I don't see any option for telling them an item was missing from my order.  I don't want to say the order did not arrive because I received one of the two items.

Any idea on how I can contact some one at Amazon to explain this problem and get it resolved?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can get to it on the Amazon site, but you have to log in, select a specific order, then do a contact us thing which then turns into couple of steps that then turn into a contact me thing where you leave them a number and they call you, at the bottom of which there is this:

Click the "call me now" button to talk to a customer service associate. If your call is disconnected, we may use the number you are contacting us from to call you back immediately.

If you prefer, you can also call our general help number.

Now, that link does not go to another page, it just opens up an info box that says

General Help Number

Note: We recommend using the "Call Me Now" feature instead for speedy assistance. We'll be ready to help you right away based on the information you've already provided.

If you prefer to call the general help line instead, please note you will need to answer a series of questions to verify your identity.

Toll free: 1-888-280-4331
International: 1-206-266-2992 --- charges may apply

So...it is there, but you have to really, really want it to find it. Google is a helluva lot easier than any of that. In fairness though, I've tried it both ways and they haved both worked to my satisfaction. But the notion of me asking them to call me kinda rubs me the wrong way from an esthetic standpoint, not that esthetic as I understand them still exist in This Modern World.

Google vs. Amazon, ain't that a bitch. At least Wal-Mart's not involved...yet?

pick-your-poison-mobile-web-native-or-hy

It's a little hard to find, for sure.

I just had a packaging issue and couldn't match the pre-sets to get the answer I wanted. I finally got to a place where I could send an email and they responded in less than 12 hours. It was definitely a human response, because the item was no longer in stock and they gave me some options for a refund or replace with a 3rd party seller. They were surprisingly helpful.