Any News On The Goodman?

Willie Mays was once the most amazing baseball player in the history of the world. But as happens to us all, he aged, got slower and less amazing, and finished up with the Mets, where he showed flashes of the old brilliance, but  also showed (more often) that he could never again be the marvel he once was. It was still a pleasure to know that he was still playing the game, but it was also sometimes painful to watch him play with a noticeably deteriorated skill set.

Here's the Willie I want to always remember:

img736.jpg

The only baseball game I ever really remember going to was to Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia in the mid-sixties, probably '64 would be my guess, I was 9 and it was the only time my Dad ever took me to a sporting event (my father was a busy minister then and not into sports. . . probably explains why I'm not as well). I saw Willie Mays hit a home run against the Phillies. That's really all I remember, he was a big deal and I saw him hit a home run.

I'm going to have to dig out the Goodman set and listen . . . there's gold on those discs.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Willie Mays was once the most amazing baseball player in the history of the world. But as happens to us all, he aged, got slower and less amazing, and finished up with the Mets, where he showed flashes of the old brilliance, but  also showed (more often) that he could never again be the marvel he once was. It was still a pleasure to know that he was still playing the game, but it was also sometimes painful to watch him play with a noticeably deteriorated skill set.

Ah, well - in the first pic he looks kind of anguished indeed. (Not the kind of anguish your are in, no? Or are you just saying somebody in that shipping department is getting slow too?)

Better to remember him like this, then (no, this won't be on the box set you are waiting for ;))

Edited by Big Beat Steve

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

img736.jpg

This is the Willie mays I remember best - when I saw him as a kid:

Willie-Mays-Giants.jpg

But either way, he was my favorite player.

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I think they may have made a mistake outsourcing their shipping. It really was never the same after that.

Nothing more to add to this. 

Just wanted to note that this is the exact same thing several of us have pointed out, but it didn't mean we were rooting for them to fail/go out of business. 

Collector's Choice did a pretty good 3-cd set of Forrest's complete records with Goodman. "Perfidia," of course, is included. I think it's an essential complement to this set (along with Columbia's Peggy Lee 2-fer). Forrest apparently *really* disliked Goodman, but she did her best work with him.

Helen Forrest.JPG