Confirmation on Teddy Wilson and Mosaic update

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I talked to Scott briefly on the phone yesterday, and he said some of the Teddy Wilson orders should be going out this Friday, with the rest to follow at the end of next week.  He says the Savory is most likely shipping out in mid-April. 

Thanks for the heads up!

gregmo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody received their set yet? I'm still waiting on notification that it has been sent. I'm thinking the big open house event Mosaic is having this weekend may slow things down potentially. Still, hoping some of you may have received your set provide some details on how it sounds, etc?

4 hours ago, Jazzcat28 said:

Has anybody received their set yet? I'm still waiting on notification that it has been sent. I'm thinking the big open house event Mosaic is having this weekend may slow things down potentially. Still, hoping some of you may have received your set provide some details on how it sounds, etc?

The email I got on Monday said that my order had been forwarded to Mosaic’s shipping vendor and would be shipped “in the next 2-4 business days.” Today is the fourth business day since Monday, so I’m hoping that it ships today. My credit card was charged at the beginning of the week.

I don’t think the open house would have any effect on pre-ordered shipments, given that it’s not Mosaic that’s handling the shipping at this point in the process.

Edited by ghost of miles

11 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I got an email late this afternoon that the Wilson set has shipped--delivery expected later this week.  :excited:

Congratulations! My wife got the email that it was sent to warehouse for delivery yesterday I think. Let us know what you think.

On 09/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, ghost of miles said:

Anybody who's talked to Scott in the past few weeks heard an update on whether or not the Teddy Wilson is still on tap for a circa-January release?

Hope they are flashing up the boilers of the Stanford to Felixstowe UK postal packet boat..:)

Edited by sidewinder

The set arrived last night, but I've only been able to listen to disc 1 so far.  Sound is excellent, very vivid--some surface noise on a number of tracks, but that's a trade I'm always willing to make for overall presence.  Wilson's approach on the first date is turbo-charged, almost sounds in some respects like a different player.  Loren Schoenberg's annotation, as always, is comprehensive and deeply illuminating.  The only minor quibble I have so far comes from looking ahead at the discography (and the producer's note that I hadn't noticed when it was posted in advance on the website):

"The vision of this set was initially brought to our attention by solographer Jan Evensmo. It is a gathering of Teddy Wilson’s 1934 to 1942 Brunswick and Columbia sides under his leadership but without vocals by Billie Holiday since these recordings have found their way onto countless LP and CD re-issues. And since our contract with Sony Music called for this to be a 7 CD set, we have regrettably needed to eliminate the following Teddy Wilson led recordings: On Brunswick, both takes of I’ve Found A New Baby (these takes can be found on our Count Basie/Lester Young set - MD8-263) and the May 14-15, 1936 and December 17, 1937 sessions that can be found on our Classic Columbia and Victor Chu Berry set (MD7-236). We have also decided not to include five rare vocal sessions that Wilson’s small group provided superb backing: Country singer Redd Evans’ two sessions for Vocalion (April, 17, 1939 and August 11, 1939), one session with Eddy Howard for Columbia (October 4, 1940) and two sessions with Chick Bullock for the OKeh label (December 6, 1940 and February 12, 1941)."

I have both of those Mosaics which contain the Wilson-led sessions omitted from this set (others may not, though), and I understand the constraints Mosaic runs into with anything larger than a 7-CD set.  I can also understand the decision to omit those later vocal dates (in addition to the frequently-reissued Holiday sides) that were not recorded under Wilson's official leadership. Given that this set is titled "Classic" rather than "Complete," though, for the sake of artistic unity I would have preferred that the "I've Found A New Baby" takes and the two sessions with Chu Berry would have been included, and a little less of the entire April 11, 1941 session that takes up all of disc 6 and the first few tracks of disc 7 as well.  Since this wasn't going to be a "Complete" set anyway, why not  include the two "I've Found A New Baby" takes and the two Chu Berry dates, and retain only the most interesting alternate takes as well as the masters from April 11, 1941? I just can't imagine that I'm going to be revisiting that disc 6-7 stretch again after the first listen:  

(DD) TEDDY WILSON: Teddy Wilson (p), Al Hall (b), J.C. Heard (d).

Chicago, April 11, 1941

No matrix assigned                 Teddy Wilson and Bill Savory

conversation and rehearsal      previously unissued

CCO3654-inc.                         Rosetta                                                                           -

CCO3686-reh                         I Know That You Know                      unissued

CCO3686-BD #1                    I Know That You Know                             -

CCO3686-BD #2                    I Know That You Know                             -

CCO3686-BD #3                    I Know That You Know                    previously unissued

CCO3686-2                            I Know That You Know                    CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3686-1                            I Know That You Know                    Col 36633

No matrix assigned -1             Love Me Or Leave Me                       previously unissued

No matrix assigned – inc.        Love Me Or Leave Me                                    unissued

No matrix assigned – BD        Love Me Or Leave Me                              -

No matrix assigned -2             Love Me Or Leave Me                       previously unissued

CCO3687-BD                         Them There Eyes                                unissued

CCO3687-3 (alt #1)                Them There Eyes                                CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3687-2 (alt #2)                Them There Eyes                                               -

CCO3687-1                            Them There Eyes                                Col 36631

CCO3688-reh                         China Boy                                           previously unissued

CCO3688-4 (alt #1)                China Boy                                           CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3688-1 (alt #2)                China Boy                                                           -

CCO3688-3 (alt #3)                China Boy                                                           -

CCO3688-BD #1                    China Boy                                           unissued

CCO3688-5 (alt #4)                China Boy (with warm up)                 CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3688-6 (alt #5)                China Boy                                                           -

CCO3688-7 (BD#2)               China Boy (with talk)                                         -

CCO3688-2                            China Boy                                           Col 36634

omit Hall and Heard.

CCO3693-reh                         I Surrender Dear                                 unissued

CCO3693-10                          I Surrender Dear                                 previously unissued

CCO3693-reh                         I Surrender Dear                                 unissued

CCO3693-9                            I Surrender Dear                                 previously unissued

CCO3693-8                            I Surrender Dear                                 previously unissued

CCO3693-7                            I Surrender Dear                                                 -

CCO3693-6                            I Surrender Dear (with rehearsal)                       -

CCO3693-5                            I Surrender Dear                                                 -

CCO3693-4                            I Surrender Dear                                                 -

CCO3693-3                            I Surrender Dear                                                 -

CCO3693-2                            I Surrender Dear                                                 -

CCO3693-1                            I Surrender Dear                                 CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3694-2                Body And Soul                                   previously unissued

CCO3694-1                Body And Soul                                   Col 36634

CCO3695-3                I Can’t Get Started                             previously unissued

CCO3695-2                I Can’t Get Started (with warm up)   CBS (F) 66370 (LP)

CCO3695-inc              I Can’t Get Started                              unissued

CCO3695-1                I Can’t Get Started                             Col 36633

Again, a minor quibble.  The set is absolutely wonderful and brings together an amazing body of work, presented in superlative sound and musical/historical context.  

Edited by ghost of miles

15 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

:tup  Nice initial review. I have those two sets two so won’t lose any sleep over the omissions.

Yeah, I won't either, and I could easily create a masters-only CD-R version of the set that would incorporate those omissions.  (If I really wanted to go all in on mid-late 1930s Teddy, I could incorporate the Holiday dates as well.  :)  )  Conceptually I would have made a different choice, though I understand why they opted to put out previously unreleased alternate takes over sessions they had already included on other sets.  But man, that's a whole lotta alternate takes!  

Very excited, mine arrived today! But while burning all the discs to my computer I noticed that I have duplicates of discs 3 & 4 and no discs 5 & 6. Just something to be looking for. I emailed Mosaic, so I'm sure they'll get it straight. I hope that its just a one-off mistake with mine. 

20 hours ago, Jordan said:

Very excited, mine arrived today! But while burning all the discs to my computer I noticed that I have duplicates of discs 3 & 4 and no discs 5 & 6. Just something to be looking for. I emailed Mosaic, so I'm sure they'll get it straight. I hope that its just a one-off mistake with mine. 

Thanks for the heads-up—I just checked and have the correct discs for 3-4 and 5-6. Currently listening through disc 2 for the second time. It’s been quite awhile since I heard the Wilson Heps, so much of this material is almost new to me. The two Helen Ward sides that open disc 2, with Goodman, Wilson, and Hampton are wonderful, as are the instrumentals from the Holiday sessions that are studded throughout the set. The Teddy Wilson-Billie Holiday dates are among the first jazz recordings I ever fell in love with, so there’s a certain warm, reconnecting glow that comes from hearing those settings again (sans Holiday) on top of appreciating the marvelous playing by Wilson and others here. Disc 2 also reminds me of how much I still need to track down Midge Williams V. 1!  

Edited by ghost of miles

Additional love for disc 2’s April 23, 1937 session with Johnny Hodges, Harry James, and Helen Ward (this set is going to send me back to that 2-CD complete Columbia compilation of hers on Collectors’ Choice). I also want to reiterate my praise for Loren Schoenberg’s commentary; I don’t think Mosaic could have found anybody better-qualified to write the notes. His knowledge of the era and even its lesser-known musicians, combined with his well-detailed insights and seemingly-infinite delight in swing-age jazz, makes this set an even greater pleasure. 

I am so excited to get this set. I am still awaiting a notification that it is being shipped. Reading the great comments from Ghost of Miles above has me beyond excited. I am really looking forward to hearing the instrumentals from the Holiday sessions. Phil Schaap at WKCR awhile back (well before I knew this set was being released) spent a couple of his programs playing through the Wilson instrumentals that have been overlooked from those sessions. They were amazing! When I saw this set was coming I knew I had to have it for those alone. Keep the commentary coming as you explore! And thank you for the heads-up on the duplicate CD issue. I'll have to check for that when mine finally arrives.

From Loren Schoenberg’s commentary on Wilson’s solo recording of “Don’t Blame Me”:

”So much is made, rightly so, of Ellington, Tatum and Coleman Hawkins when it comes to harmonic adventurousness in the years before WWII, that it’s high time Teddy Wilson is added to that list. It’s not just in dissonant intervals above the root, but in the sly fourths here and there, the modulation with ascending major seventh chords (the piece starts in D flat and goes to C—like going down one floor in an elevator, but you think you went up!), and the sheer freedom with which he creates harmony from melody that place him in this sphere. There’s a moment where a left-hand line bubbles up to the right—others may have made similar moves, but not so poetically and not so minimally.”