Confirmation on Teddy Wilson and Mosaic update

On 3/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, Jordan said:

Very excited, mine arrived today! But while burning all the discs to my computer I noticed that I have duplicates of discs 3 & 4 and no discs 5 & 6. Just something to be looking for. I emailed Mosaic, so I'm sure they'll get it straight. I hope that its just a one-off mistake with mine. 

I was excited to receive my set today, but I have exactly the same problem--two copies of discs 3 and 4 and no discs 5 and 6. I guess the quality control person was laid off.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to disc 1 as I write this. These 1934 solos are a very pleasant surprise. Wilson is all over the keyboard and a lot more aggressive than what we think of as his usual. Really looking forward to hearing more of this set!

Luckily, I have discs 5 and 6, but I did check, thanks to warnings posted here!

gregmo

While reading Loren Schoenberg's superb notes for this set yesterday I found something amusing in three of the picture credits. I wonder who the W.C. Fields fan is at Mosaic? The photographs on pages 4, 10 and 13 are said to be from the collections of  Mahatma Kane Jeeves, Larson E. Whipsnade, and Egbert Souse respectively.

Lovely!

6 hours ago, Don Brown said:

While reading Loren Schoenberg's superb notes for this set yesterday I found something amusing in three of the picture credits. I wonder who the W.C. Fields fan is at Mosaic? The photographs on pages 4, 10 and 13 are said to be from the collections of  Mahatma Kane Jeeves, Larson E. Whipsnade, and Egbert Souse respectively.

Lovely!

Good catch! 😊 I’d imagine that’s Scott Wenzel. 

My new 25th anniversary edition Decware SE84UFO3 Monoblocks are breaking in and wowing me; 2.7 watts per channel never sounded more powerful. It's true, this new Mosaic sounds wonderful with this system. . . I'm at the moment re-listening to disc 3.

Edited by jazzbo

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, kh1958 said:

I was excited to receive my set today, but I have exactly the same problem--two copies of discs 3 and 4 and no discs 5 and 6. I guess the quality control person was laid off.

While Mosaic by email promised to send me discs 5 and 6, I  am still  waiting.

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

While Mosaic by email promised to send me discs 5 and 6, I  am still  waiting.

Yep same here. I figured it might take longer than usual because they don’t have extra pieces of this set sitting around the shop yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My copy of the set arrived today. Listened to Disc 1; it's fabulous, just fabulous, and very enlightening too in ways that I may not have the words for. One knows, or thinks one knows (at least I do  or did) what Wilson's style snd musical virtues are, but this set makes it clear how ... for want of a better term ... granular the evolution to or toward the latter-day Wilson was from the already brilliant but very Hinesian Wilson of the May 23, 1934 solo recordings on through the recordings that follow -- and I'm only up June 30, 1936. There are worlds within worlds here, very detailed worlds too. Forget about the latter-day suave, sophisticated Wilson is something I'd never say, but the urgently evolving Wilson of the 1930s is a rather different cat who has to be heard.

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

My copy of the set arrived today. Listened to Disc 1; it's fabulous, just fabulous, and very enlightening too in ways that I may not have the words for. One knows, or thinks one knows (at least I do  or did) what Wilson's style snd musical virtues are, but this set makes it clear how ... for want of a better term ... granular the evolution to or toward the latter-day Wilson was from the already brilliant but very Hinesian Wilson of the May 23, 1934 solo recordings on through the recordings that follow -- and I'm only up June 30, 1936. There are worlds within worlds here, very detailed worlds too. Forget about the latter-day suave, sophisticated Wilson is something I'd never say, but the urgently evolving Wilson of the 1930s is a rather different cat who has to be heard.

Ok, convince me JUST a little bit more, please. I've been thinking about skipping this one, just because, I mean, I pretty much know Teddy Wilson from the Goodman Trio/Etc records (and there are indeed worlds inside worlds on those) plus all the sides with Billie, and then the later Musicraft stuff.,. But if there's really THAT much more to get to in this set,...I will keep my options open.

And nothing about "some great XYZ on this set", please. Ears, not blurbs, please! :g

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

You're making me curious enough to dig out my Teddy Wilson LPs again for listening. I have a fair amount of his pre-c.1946 recordings, including the May 23, 1934 solos on the 3-LP "Complete Teddy Wilson Piano Solos" box set issued by CBS. (BTW, does the Mosaic include the alternates that the CBS set has?) And what, more precisely - in your opinion - would be the time frame of the "urgently evolving Wilson of the 1930s" recordings that you allude to?

When I wrote the above, I was only up to mid-1936, and I heard lots of evolution in Wilson's approach, as the brilliant Hinesisms get a bit ironed out perhaps, but in return, so to speak, one gets a spilling out of jewels of a somewhat different sort -- less brittle and aggressive that Wilson's Hines-colored mode but almost Tatumesque in their harmonic sophistication. And the melodies! Yes, the Mosaic has the alternates. Otoh, given what you already have of Wilson of that period. you may not need this set.

Back when i picked up 78s I was consistently blown away by Teddy Wilson's output , much of it collected on this Mosaic set. His later 50s work has alway however struck as polite but dull lacking the dashing dare of his earlier output. I'll need to pull this set out and some random 78s to get reacquainted