Confirmation on Teddy Wilson and Mosaic update

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Scott gave me the green light to post info about the Teddy Wilson set and other matters Mosaic:

Teddy Wilson set confirmed and Mosaic update

Very well written article.  BTW If they own the masters to the Bird set they could offer them for download once they've run out of cds.  Or they could license them to someone still in the cd business-- if any such company exists in the future. 

Thanks much - this is better reading than all the speculation going on here during the last weeks.

I think I will get me one Mosaic set every month instead of other releases until I have all I really want, that is the JPJ, Jamal, and Turrentine sets. Perhaps the Young Basie, too, although I have most of it on other discs.

Thanks for this. It's pretty much what I expected and my strategy is also to buy a set a month until I have all I want.

All I wonder is if "make things go for a few more years" means: release new sets for a few more years. I hope so!

I'll preorder the Wilson. I've loved his music almost since I started listening to jazz so its imminent release is a dream come true for me.

Scott says:

I’m not going to say we are winding down right now. But unless some incredible miracle happens where jazz becomes the new hip-hop and people start buying CDs and LPs more than they are downloading, then yes, we will crash and burn...

But with that said we soldier on and hope we can make things go for a few more years.

So...no, not winding down, but fully expecting to crash and burn barring some incredible miracle, but crashing and burning will hopefully take a few more years, so, not going to say we're winding down, will say we expect to crash and burn, but not right now, over the next few years, but that's not winding down.....sayWHAAAAAA?

Can I get that translated into Fred, please?

I’m not going to say we are winding down right now. But unless some incredible miracle happens where jazz becomes the new hip-hop and people start buying CDs and LPs more than they are downloading, then yes, we will crash and burn...

But with that said we soldier on and hope we can make things go for a few more years.

Seems clear to me. I'm not sure how to translate it into JSngryese. :)

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I don't know who Fred is...

Fred is the guy who responded to my email about the Goodman set in about less than 12 hours with a single sentence (two at most) that told me everything I needed to know. Clarity as needed, when needed.

Scott's all, well no, but yes, now but not now, I mean, geez dude, make a commitment to a reality. "Crash and burn" does not generally connote a gradual phasing out, but then again, this is the same guy who cried FIRE! and then seems to have not been ready for all the fire trucks that showed up. I enjoy his work, but his external communications have seem, uh....imprecise? Unfocused? Like he's really doesn't know but wants to seem to?

When it comes to business communication relating to specifics, make my style Ron Swanson, definitely.

So, yeah, Fred.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Fred is the guy who responded to my email about the Goodman set in about less than 12 hours with a single sentence (two at most) that told me everything I needed to know. Clarity as needed, when needed.

Scott's all, well no, but yes, now but not now, I mean, geez dude, make a commitment to a reality. "Crash and burn" does not generally connote a gradual phasing out, but then again, this is the same guy who cried FIRE! and then seems to have not been ready for all the fire trucks that showed up. I enjoy his work, but his external communications have seem, uh....imprecise? Unfocused? Like he's really doesn't know but wants to seem to?

When it comes to business communication relating to specifics, make my style Ron Swanson, definitely.

So, yeah, Fred.

Fred Putsey used to run the True Blue side of things there. Maybe he's still around?

I'm not sure what's hard to understand what Scott said: they are attempting to survive and will attempt to do so as long as they can but absent jazz becoming more popular than it is, Mosaic's prospects don't look bright.  

In the short term they're probably fine but the long term outlook is negative.  If they were a stock, they'd be classified as a "sell" and definitely "underperforming."

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I'm not sure what's hard to understand what Scott said: they are attempting to survive and will attempt to do so as long as they can but absent jazz becoming more popular than it is, Mosaic's prospects don't look bright.  

In the short term they're probably fine but the long term outlook is negative.  If they were a stock, they'd be classified as a "sell" and definitely "underperforming."

So are they going to crash and burn or are they going to do a slow fade?

The "drama" of all this, this one minute we're about to sink oh my god you really care we can hang around a little longer BUT we're gonna crash and burn...I get the personal drama for the people who actually run the business, but I'd prefer not to see private emotion driving public policy, and again, don't holler FIRE!!!! and then wonder where all the fire trucks came from AND then say, oh well, thanks firefighters BUT this time it worked BUT we all know there's going to be another fire AND you guys won't be able to help us then, I'm like what the fuck dude, that's all just a bit too emo for me, just...let Fred handle all official communications going forth, please.

And is it just me, or has Cuscuna been more or less quiet through all this? Since when did Scott Wenzel become The Official Voice Of Mosaic? Cuscuna's given me more product (literally, going back 45 years or so, I was already "indebted" before Mosaic was a twinkle in somebody's eye) than has Wenzel, so, what does he have to say about all this?

Nothing? Good!

Everything dies. Not everything dies with dignity, though.

Isn't vinyl the future for a physical music product . I wonder why Mosaic haven't looked back to their vinyl past.

Perhaps it's an issue of licensing but a vinyl oriented approach appears to be working for the likes of Resonance, Music Matters etc.

i'd love to see a vinyl Nathan Davis set or Lucky Thompson's obscure Parisienne recordings.

The Blue Note well of goodies has been dry for many years and whilst their sets reflecting the roots of jazz are often as essential as they are welcome, I'd be great to see branching out in other areas. 

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

And is it just me, or has Cuscuna been more or less quiet through all this? Since when did Scott Wenzel become The Official Voice Of Mosaic? Cuscuna's given me more product (literally, going back 45 years or so, I was already "indebted" before Mosaic was a twinkle in somebody's eye) than has Wenzel, so, what does he have to say about all this?

This is on the Michael Cuscuna Facebook page:

Intro
  • Former President at Mosaic Records

It looks to me as if Michael may no longer be the President and has a diminished role.

• 2 weeks later...

news of the Teddy Wilson had me dig out some of the Hep CDs of his material. The music is just so fine that I'll be sure to go for this set. I also spun some Hep Goodmans Plays Mel Powell & Plays Jimmy Mundy which really didn't do a lot for me at all. Sorry Benny....

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2017 at 7:06 AM, ghost of miles said:

Anybody who's talked to Scott in the past few weeks heard an update on whether or not the Teddy Wilson is still on tap for a circa-January release?

I'll answer, much belatedly, although I realize that you might have already otherwise received the answer to your question.

I placed an order with Scott for a couple of Mosaic sets on September 29th and commented that I hoped that this would not be my last Mosaic order. Scott responded by stating that a Teddy Wilson set was coming out at the beginning of next year and mentioning that there were a few other projects in the works. He didn't give any details and I didn't ask any questions - I was too pleasantly surprised with the response.

On a somewhat related note, I purchased (for $20) along with the two sets a Mosaic booklet for one of my partials. Scott told me to be sure to mention that Mosaic still has available for purchase booklets for a lot of the out-of-print sets.