LF: Carmen McRae Records Where She Accompanies Herself

JSngry

A search in Lord shows an occasional track or two on an album where she herself plays piano, much less often than you might think, found about a dozen tracks spread over all of her career.

This 1973 album on Victor Japan, however, should be what you are looking for:

R-4617075-1454349329-3221.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Carmen-McRae-As-Time-Goes-By-Carmen-McRae-Alone-Live-At-The-Dug/master/561773

Edited by mikeweil

Ok, thanks for the responses, all. Appreciate it. I'll look for the Dug thing, that and the Piano Jazz. I hope she gives good conversation.

No real body of work of her playing piano with rhythm section then? Honestly, I would have expected Decca or Bethlehem to have had something. Who knew?

Believe it or not, it was Jacy Parker who got me to this point, reflected through Aretha Franklin/Ray Charles/Mose Allison, and of course/always, Shirley Horn. The whole idea of, if you can play piano well enough and sing well enough, and do both simultaneously, that should provide the best possible outcome.

I'll even give Diana Krall props in that way, not my "thing" for either singing or piano playing, but she always seems comfortable with what she gives herself to sing with.

2 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

That "As Time Goes By" album is absolutely superb, probably my favorite Carmen.  There was a USA LP issue on Catalyst, and I've had two copies, but both were terrible pressings. I'd love to get my mitts on a digital version.

The JVC XRC cd sounds extremely good. Used copies are for sale on Amazon.jp but are expensive.

The original was a budget busting 3885 yen -$35.