Shorty Rogers Rendezvous Ballroom 9/27/52

Stonewall15

Sounds of Yesteryear is releasing a Shorty Rogers at The Rendezvous Ballroom performance dated 9/28/52. Is this truly new music or just a re-issue of the 9/27/52 session previously released by the Los Angeles Jazz Institute CDs LAJI 6 and 7?

The Sounds of Yesteryear is listed on Amazon with a September 15 release date.

I did the research to locate the ad used in the liner notes for the initial release of this concert, Lighthouse LAJI006. There was only one concert on September 27, 1952, a Saturday.

Shorty had performed at the Rendezvous Ballroom earlier that year on June 17, 1952, for a night to dawn dance for Orange County high school seniors. Shorty's group kicked off the all nighter from 11:00 - 2:00 AM, with the Pied Pipers 1:00 - 1:30 AM, Dan Terry Orchestra 2:00 - 5:00 AM, Jeri Southern 2:30 - 3:00 AM, and Jerry Colomnna 3:00 - 3:30 AM. Alex Cooper, a southland DJ, MC'ed the event. I do not believe this event was recorded. 

The second CD release of the 09/27/52 concert noted that Bob Enevoldsen also recorded the concert on his wire recorder. LAJI possesses this recording as part of the Bob Enevoldsen archive that was donated to LAJI. I do not believe that Kern Poston has attempted playback of the wire recording.

Shorty performed at the Rendezvous Ballroom on Saturday, July 11, 1953, with a 17 piece big band. That concert was recorded by Bob Andrews and the music has made the rounds among collectors over the years.

I would be very surprised if the Sounds of Yesterday CD offered any material that has not been previously released.

Edited by JamesAHarrod
Concert date was July 11, 1953, not June.

Sounds of Yesteryear DSOY 2073

A Rendezvous With Shorty Rogers & His Giants

Release Date: 09/15/2017

01      I May Be Wrong

02      Didi

03      Short Snort

04      Popo

05      Ide’s Side

06      Jeepers Creepers

07      He’s Funny That Way

08      I Can’t Believe That You’re in Love With Me

09      Perdido

10      Summertime

11      Sometimes I’m Happy

12      Closing Theme

13      Announcer

01, 02, 03, 04, 12 on LAJI 007

05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 on LAJI 006

06, 07, 08 are vocals by Miss June Christy

Horns out on 06, 07, 08

Edited by Claude Schlouch

22 hours ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Sounds of Yesteryear DSOY 2073

A Rendezvous With Shorty Rogers & His Giants

Release Date: 09/15/2017

01      I May Be Wrong

02      Didi

03      Short Snort

04      Popo

05      Ide’s Side

06      Jeepers Creepers

07      He’s Funny That Way

08      I Can’t Believe That You’re in Love With Me

09      Perdido

10      Summertime

11      Sometimes I’m Happy

12      Closing Theme

13      Announcer

01, 02, 03, 04, 12 on LAJI 007

05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 on LAJI 006

06, 07, 08 are vocals by Miss June Christy

Horns out on 06, 07, 08

Many thanx for this information.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

That front cover is an unashamed ripoff of Concert Hall Society CHJ-1001 (combining recordings by Erroll Garner and Dodo Marmarosa). :D

Havent seen the cover you mentioned so I cannot comment on that. But the Steve Hoffmans Forums have s special thread just for covers which have "stealed"  graphic elemerts or the whole Idea  from another  LP cover issued. As it looks its quite usual to copy other Ideas. This thread is very interesting. Probably we could open one here too showing covers which are very similar  in the Idea or graphics.

Edited by jazzcorner
text

38 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Havent seen the cover you mentioned so I cannot comment on that.

These days, Discogs will answer questions like that. ;)

Anyway ... I guess the jury still is out trying to find out who among the featured musicians that drawing is supposed to actually show.
(Being somewhat interested in drawing myself, I am always puzzled when self-proclaimed "artists" draw persons for such covers and end up with what is totally out of sync with the subject matter and the music ... and I wonder what the actual assignment for the record cover was ... Drawing just ANY group of imaginary musicians seems fairly pointless to me ...)
In the case here if I had to take a guess I'd say the tenor saxist looks like Stan Getz, the pianist is slightly reminiscent of George Wallington, and the bassist might be Red Mitchell, but none of these are in the line-up - so ... ? (But maybe in this particular case we ought to be grateful the characters did not end up like Manga figures ... :D)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, JamesAHarrod said:

The same drawing on the back cover was used on all of the Vantage LPs that I have seen from this period. I do not believe it was meant to portray musicians on the record. Here is the CHS cover:

Jim

chdodoerrol.jpg

Thank you Jim for clarification.

BTW  part of this special recording  was issued also with this  front cover. Rearside is blanc.

37660663jt.jpg

37660667bu.jpg