Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milestones

Eric Dolphy on flute

13 posts in this topic

Can someone list all or some of Dolphy's pieces on which he plays flute.  The man was an absolute genius on flute, and he did't record it often enough.  

I'm particularly interested in pieces from the Prestige recordings.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm...

Well, I have the Complete Prestige box, so if you give me a week or so, I'll be happy to put together a list for you. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

You can also check the online Dolphy discographies, starting with jazzdisco.org. Not 100% accurate, but close enough as a good starting point.

I put it off for decades, but finally got around to hearing this record :https://www.discogs.com/Severino-Gazzelloni-Aloys-Kontarsky-Music-For-Solo-Flute-Music-For-Flute-And-Piano/release/1127326

If you really like Dolphy's flute playing, this is a really rewarding listen, a kindred spirit on the instrument, perhaps, and somebody of whom Dolphy was definitely aware.

I find it curious and disappointing that he did not play flute on the Five Spot sessions.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

I find it curious and disappointing that he did not play flute on the Five Spot sessions.

Going by memory, but doesn't he play flute on "Like Someone in Love?"

Edited by jeffcrom

Let me check that out.

Yes, indeed, and it's a fantastic performance!  But it is a very lengthy track--about 20 minutes. 

As acerbic as Dolphy's tone was on alto and bass clarinet (and I don't mean that negatively)...

...I think it's astounding how pure his tone and technique were on flute -- arguably as good as anyone outside of a handful of upper echelon classical players.  Three wonderful flute tracks on the less-well-known (posthumous) Other Aspects (Blue Note, 1987).  Here's the first one:

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I put it off for decades, but finally got around to hearing this record :https://www.discogs.com/Severino-Gazzelloni-Aloys-Kontarsky-Music-For-Solo-Flute-Music-For-Flute-And-Piano/release/1127326

If you really like Dolphy's flute playing, this is a really rewarding listen, a kindred spirit on the instrument, perhaps, and somebody of whom Dolphy was definitely aware.

yeah, that Time LP is great. Bought it years ago for precisely this reason.

while looking at the Dolphy site, I stumbled upon this really nice report on Dolphy's Dutch tour

http://adale.org/Discographies/KartingHolland.html

there's also a letter by Dolphy, written three weeks after the above recording (and probably delivered more or less on his final day...)  "can [you] let me know what Han Bennink is doing the rest of the summer and how I can get in touch with him"