Motor on my Nitty Gritty LP Cleaner Has Died

HutchFan

Amigos,

The motor on my Nitty Gritty Model 1 LP Cleaner is kaput after many years of faithful service. 

So I went to Nitty Gritty's web site, hoping that I could replace the motor rather than the entire unit.  I was thinking that I could either have them send me the motor & do the repairs myself -- or possibly send the unit to them and let them do the replacement.

The problem is that no one at Nitty Gritty will respond to my inquiries.  I've called them (and left voicemail messages) and emailed them.  No response from anyone so far.  Nada.  And it's been a few weeks.

Does anyone know: Is the company going out of business?  

Or, alternatively, do you know of a retailer that stocks Nitty Gritty products?  I thought I might try going through one of Nitty Gritty's dealers, since the manufacturer isn't responding.

Any suggestions much appreciated.  At this point, I'm stumped. :( 

Unfortunately, according to friends in the industry, Nitty Gritty's owner and operator suffered a career ending stroke a few months back and the decision was made to shutter the company. You'll probably have better luck working with a local dealer than trying to work with the company directly.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Audio Concepts in Dallas sells Nitty Gritty products.

http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/products.htm

They are nice fellows, so I'm sure if you called them they would try to help you.

Thanks, kh.

I just called Audio Concepts and spoke with John.  He was very helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like Nitty Gritty is indeed shutting down, and I'm probably looking at having to replace my entire LP cleaner -- unless I can somehow track down a motor.

Oh well.  A first world problem, for sure. ;) 

6 hours ago, spinlps said:

Unfortunately, according to friends in the industry, Nitty Gritty's owner and operator suffered a career ending stroke a few months back and the decision was made to shutter the company. You'll probably have better luck working with a local dealer than trying to work with the company directly.

I used to communicate with Gayle Van Syckle.  Was this the owner? They were very helpful when I had trouble with my unit about ten years ago.    

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks, kh.

I just called Audio Concepts and spoke with John.  He was very helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like Nitty Gritty is indeed shutting down, and I'm probably looking at having to replace my entire LP cleaner -- unless I can somehow track down a motor.

If you can access the motor nameplate, take a look at the specifications listed there. There's a good chance you can locate a replacement with similar specs at McMaster-Carr:

McMaster-Carr - Electric Motors 

On 8/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I used to communicate with Gayle Van Syckle.  Was this the owner? They were very helpful when I had trouble with my unit about ten years ago.    

Yes, that's her. I've heard lots of stories of her amazing customer service.

2 hours ago, spinlps said:

Yes, that's her. I've heard lots of stories of her amazing customer service.

Yes, truly amazing customer service.  The repaired my unit free of charge, and said, in the e-mail, essentially, that the problem should not have happened.  "Let's just chalk it up to weirdness," she said in the e-mail.  I told her that I would sing Nitty Gritty's praises to anyone who would listen.  I think I influenced a lot of people over the years to buy one. 

• 1 month later...

Checking back in on this thread. . .

Rather than trying to fix my busted Nitty Gritty (for now, at least), I decided to purchase a similar (but less expensive) Record Doctor V, made by Audio Advisor.

RDV_1.jpg

I've only had this new unit for a few days, but it seems to work very well -- pretty much exactly like the Nitty Gritty did.  I've said it before, but I think anyone who spins vinyl regularly should invest in a vacuum-type LP cleaner.  They're well worth the cost.  This particular unit is $200.  

I'd accumulated several used LPs since my old machine broke.  Listening to them "before and after" cleaning with the Record Doctor is quite a revelation. Clean records sound MUCH better.

• 5 years later...