"The Greatest Bass Player In The World: Jaco Pastorius" on Night Lights

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Jaco wasn't even the "greatest" bass player in America, never mind the whole entire world.

The show's title is referring to Jaco's well-known proclamation about himself.  I suppose I could have put that part of it in quotes to make it clearer, but didn't think it necessary.  The whole notion of such a ranking is a highly, if not completely, subjective practice in any event. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Yeah, I know, just had to live through it all and remember not really being convinced, not even about his greatness, but just about him being too much more than a "picker" (i.e. - dazzled by the initial flash, but after the dazzle wore off...), until those Joni albums. Still have a little :rolleyes: in me about all the young players who thought that Jaco had invented all that stuff. No.....

I also lived through the decline...the grapevine travels fast...that was sad, because you'd hear stories and think "surely not"...but know we all know, surely yes.

Apologies in advance if this is "improper" in any way, but for me personally, the more dead he becomes, the more his annoyance factor diminishes and the more I can allow myself to really "get" him as the flawed but ginormous spirit he really was.

8 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Don't go to Casablanca for the waters either.  ;)

Oh, I don't know... :g

par3.jpg

tumblr_mnna04vhVa1srijozo3_1280.jpg

100_4732.jpg

Jaco definitely consolidated a lot of things that were already going on, so as a coalesce-er, yeah I get that.

But I'd argue (and I'd be convinced, although probably not convincingly) that Larry Graham was just as "revolutionary" as Jaco, maybe more so.  I mean, on what/whose turf is this "revolution" being fought and what are the stakes?

Now having said that, this is totally convincing to me, not as a "revolution", but just as a rightness of concept, vision even. People talk about WR during most of the Jaco era and note the absence of a percussionist as some kind of concession to "rock" or whatever, but hell, the way Jaco played, a percussionist was not needed, he filled that role himself when it was needed. Between him and Erskine, there it was.

Maybe to focus on the "revolutionary" aspect of his bass playing is unintentional misdirection away from his overall vision. Erratic and short-lived as it was, it definitely existed.

And ok, quiet as it's kept, the line from Jerry Jemmott to Jaco has Rocco Prestia in between, and let's talk about Chuck Rainey as well..."white people" who were all slack-jawed about Jaco very often, in my experience, didn't really pay that mjuch attention to R&B records - but Jaco damn sure did. Hell, checking put bass players and not digging into R&B is like checking out women and never looking at Sophia Loren, you know, even if the style is not your thing, the foundations, mechanics, and the execution of the concept and design are fundamental to the overall concept. You need to be aware, ok?

Check out Chuck Rainey here, hooking up with Harvey Mason, this shit is impeccable, don't let the loping tempo fool you into thinking there's anything "basic" about this, this shit is right;.And deep.

Chuck Rainey, y'all, Chuck Rainey. BASS!

Bernard Edwards, bass

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

And ok, quiet as it's kept, the line from Jerry Jemmott to Jaco has Rocco Prestia in between, and let's talk about Chuck Rainey as well..."white people" who were all slack-jawed about Jaco very often, in my experience, didn't really pay that mjuch attention to R&B records - but Jaco damn sure did. Hell, checking put bass players and not digging into R&B is like checking out women and never looking at Sophia Loren, you know, even if the style is not your thing, the foundations, mechanics, and the execution of the concept and design are fundamental to the overall concept. You need to be aware, ok?

Check out Chuck Rainey here, hooking up with Harvey Mason, this shit is impeccable, don't let the loping tempo fool you into thinking there's anything "basic" about this, this shit is right;.And deep.

Chuck Rainey, y'all, Chuck Rainey. BASS!

Chuck Rainey absolutely kicks butt on Gato Barbieri's "El Pampero" album (as does Pretty Purdie).   That is my favorite Barbieri album of all, pure magic at Montreux, three worlds of musicians (Barbieri, Lonnie Liston Smith. Rainey/Purdie) coming together for something unique and wonderful.

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...