Dick Gregory, Comedian and Civil Rights Activist, Dies at 84

Dick Gregory was a part of a panel discussion on humor at my alma mater, Tulane, around 1974. Russell Baker was the moderator and the rest of the group included Jimmy Breslin, Art Buchwald, along with an obscure feminist comedian named Robin Tyler who had everyone puzzled as to why she merited being in such austere company. I'd love to have an audio tape of that evening.

Heard him and met him at Irvine auditorium on Penn's campus when I was in college in the 70's.  Followed him before and after that.  Courageous, principled man.  A hero.  Most memorable lines for me - told he had been placed on Richard Nixon's enemies list, he said "tell him I accept" and also asked what it meant that all 100 of the enemies were Americans.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Dick Gregory was a part of a panel discussion on humor at my alma mater, Tulane, around 1974. Russell Baker was the moderator and the rest of the group included Jimmy Breslin, Art Buchwald, along with an obscure feminist comedian named Robin Tyler who had everyone puzzled as to why she merited being in such austere company. I'd love to have an audio tape of that evening.

Loved Dick Gregory. Strong, moving force for many who would almost give up hope,
then discovered and ran with the humor of "the situation."

Robin Tyler is known as the first "out" lesbian comic and was a frequent performer in those days.
I think she's still keeping women's and LGBT issues in the forefront of her activities.

"If it wasn't for Abe Lincoln, I'd still be on the open market."

Edited by rostasi

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

He was also in a jazz movie, loosely based on bird's life, in 1967, playing an alto player named 'Eagle' Stokes.

George Coleman did the ghosting for him, and Mal Waldron composed the score.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062325/

Soundtrack on Impulse.  I used to own the vinyl.  Is the movie any good?

23 hours ago, felser said:

Soundtrack on Impulse.  I used to own the vinyl.  Is the movie any good?

Yeah, it was more realistic than 'A Man Called Adam' with Sammy Davis Jr., another jazz movie made around the same time about a messed up jazz musician.

They were both made in gritty B&W, but the cinematography was tons better on AMCA.

SLB was a much lower budget movie, taken from a novel by John Williams named "Night Song". They said they cut the movie too much, and that might account for the disjointed feel of the whole thing.

Jan Murray was good as a down and out academic who bonds with DG, as they both drink and drug themselves to death. DG gave a very realistic portrayal of a junked out jazzer.

Robert Hooks, in his first role, was good as a Chile Place/Bar owner who gives the messed up duo a new lease on life, by giving them jobs at his place.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:46 PM, gmonahan said:

"Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant, and this white waitress came up to me and said: 'We don't serve colored people here.' I said: 'that's all right, I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken.'"

One of a kind!

gregmo

contiuation of that one:   “About then these three cousins come in, you know the ones I mean, Klu, Klucks, and Klan, and they say ‘Boy, we’re giving you fair warning. Anything you do to that chicken, we’re going to do to you.’ So I put down my knife and fork, and I picked up that chicken and I kissed it.”

3 hours ago, felser said:

contiuation of that one:   “About then these three cousins come in, you know the ones I mean, Klu, Klucks, and Klan, and they say ‘Boy, we’re giving you fair warning. Anything you do to that chicken, we’re going to do to you.’ So I put down my knife and fork, and I picked up that chicken and I kissed it.”

Never seen the follow up. Love it!!

gregmo