Gulf Coasters, Be Safe!

The Astrodome still exists?! I thought they tore that thing down years ago. 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, I think she's rocking those shoes, and seriously, I applaud her for her ongoing efforts to look good for the camera. Optics DO matter, especially in times of crisis.

Is the Astrodome in any kind of condition to be used as a shelter, even temporarily?

Mrs. Trump is a very striking lady. As was Mrs. Obama. I try to remain respectful. No matter whether I agree with their husbands politics, or not. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, I think she's rocking those shoes, and seriously, I applaud her for her ongoing efforts to look good for the camera. Optics DO matter, especially in times of crisis. [Boldface mine.]

Precisely, but my take on the optics is very different. I hope we can agree to disagree. At any rate, I've now read that she'd changed into tennies by the time she got to Texas.

Meanwhile, with Fenton Robinson on guitar,

Edited by bluenoter

At the same time, at the other end of the world (roughly), there's also a major disaster going on: extremely heavy rains and floods in Nepal, India and Bangla Desh, with the death toll now over 1,000. I get news mails from the Washington Post and NYT every day, but hardly anyone is reporting about that. Hmm...

Edited by J.A.W.

Last time I looked both the WP and NYT have international sections - hardly a word. A very different story in the mails from the Dutch, German and UK newspapers I subscribe to, both Texas and Nepal/India/Bangla Desh are covered extensively.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have to completely agree with Chuck on this one. While all disasters and deaths are grievous, Nepal, India, and Bangladesh have to focus locally/regionally on their problem, just as we do. The last thing the people of Texas are concerned with right now is the plight of those in Nepal, India, and Bangladesh. And I guarantee the people in those countries have no time, or emotional energy, to spare for the people of Texas. 

That's not cold or uncaring on either side of the equation. That's simply reality. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/flooding-maroons-people-in-indian-states-eases-in-nepal/2017/08/17/6e7c3304-8321-11e7-9e7a-20fa8d7a0db6_story.html?utm_term=.c836d3dda35c

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/08/29/attention-is-on-harvey-but-flooding-has-killed-thousands-this-month-in-other-countries-too/?utm_term=.699f57134195

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I have to completely agree with Chuck on this one. While all disasters and deaths are grievous, Nepal, India, and Bangladesh have to focus locally/regionally on their problem, just as we do. The last thing the people of Texas are concerned with right now is the plight of those in Nepal, India, and Bangladesh. And I guarantee the people in those countries have no time, or emotional energy, to spare for the people of Texas. 

That's not cold or uncaring on either side of the equation. That's simply reality. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/flooding-maroons-people-in-indian-states-eases-in-nepal/2017/08/17/6e7c3304-8321-11e7-9e7a-20fa8d7a0db6_story.html?utm_term=.c836d3dda35c

I wasn't talking about the people of Texas specifically, I fully understand and appreciate that they wouldn't be interested in what's happening elsewhere right now, I was talking about a couple of your national newspapers that have a wide international readership. 

Edited by J.A.W.

oh btw, I received an email from work alerting me to the monsoons in Mumbai, and to expect an impact on workflow effective immediately.

I'm still about to turn my KPRC stream to catch Khambrel Marshal, but to my co-workers in Mumbai and all their families, friends, neighbors, enemies, pets, livestock, everybody and everything. there and here, thoughts and prayers.

"The video above, filmed by Houston resident Exavier Blanchard, shows how quickly water levels rose outside his apartment complex in the Greenspoint area of Houston. The time-lapse footage shows waters rising well above some cars and breaching part of the building’s first floor. 

Blanchard began filming at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, after Hurricane Harvey, a Category 4 storm, ravaged the Texas Gulf Coast. He set up his Nest home security camera in his second-floor apartment before police went door-to-door telling residents of the complex to evacuate.

By the time Blanchard’s video ends 15 hours later, several cars are fully or partially submerged in the floodwaters..."

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

oh btw, I received an email from work alerting me to the monsoons in Mumbai, and to expect an impact on workflow effective immediately.

I'm still about to turn my KPRC stream to catch Khambrel Marshal, but to my co-workers in Mumbai and all their families, friends, neighbors, enemies, pets, livestock, everybody and everything. there and here, thoughts and prayers.

Thank God for that email, and alerting us to what is going on over there! The lazy and incompetent national newspapers here have completely ignored the situation! 

Finger pointing is a guaranteed byproduct of any disaster. Especially of this magnitude. But I have to admit that I found this article very interesting. I've seen similar bureaucratic disregard on the Gulf Coast of Florida, as well. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/how-wild-west-growth-may-have-contributed-to-devastating-flood-in-houston/2017/08/29/290e4e56-8c13-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html?utm_term=.c5d16ee0d6a2

Edited by Scott Dolan

We drove around Meyerland, the neighborhood by Brays Bayou.  While the water has receded, you could see watermarks on the fronts of the houses showing how high the waters had risen.    5 - 6 feet was not uncommon.  Truly disconcerting.  These were people who already had their houses gutted in prior storms.  Mattresses and sofas are beginning to be piled up on the curbside.  We got an email that garbage pickup has been suspended because the landfills are flooded.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Thank God for that email, and alerting us to what is going on over there! The lazy and incompetent national newspapers here have completely ignored the situation! 

Newspapers? What are those?

Seriously, I work for a corporation that very much has a global work force. The immediate personal impact to me might well be more from the monsoons in Mumbai than the flooding in Houston, but forgive me if my personal attention is more immediately captured by an area that's just a four hour drive from here, an area where I lived for a few years as a kid, an area where some of my mom's side of the family once roamed whatever it is they roamed, and an area where I have played any number of gigs over any number of years.

But in both cases, a massive number of lives are being seriously disrupted, and some destroyed. This is not the time for pettiness/prissiness. Not that it ever is, but especially not now.

What was that the song said, "I thin it's raining all over the world"? That's...neither funny nor poignant right now. It's kinda scary.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Finger pointing is a guaranteed byproduct of any disaster. Especially of this magnitude. But I have to admit that I found this article very interesting. I've seen similar bureaucratic disregard on the Gulf Coast of Florida, as well. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/how-wild-west-growth-may-have-contributed-to-devastating-flood-in-houston/2017/08/29/290e4e56-8c13-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html?utm_term=.c5d16ee0d6a2

Here's a corollary concern, presented for information purposes only: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/29/a-storm-made-in-washington-215549

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

What was that the song said

Juke Boy Bonner: "Man, whatever you do, don't leave Third Ward out!"

"But if I got a job in Houston, I wouldn't be on this train"

The "Screaming Please" writing credit Brown/Malone means that Texas Johnny Brown, the legendary Texas guitarist and author of Bobby Blue Bland's iconic "Two Steps From The Blues," was probably the writer. Deadric Malone is the pseudonym Don Robey to get writing credits on a number of Duke sides he wasn’t involved in composing. As this reveals so many of the dynamic brassy hallmarks of the stellar Bobby "Blue" Bland material of the era, until someone shows me different, I will conclude for now that 1) Duke's house arranger/trumpeter Joe Scott is threading the elaborate tapestry and 2) the band is the same killer all-star ensemble from "Two Steps From The Blues" driven by the dynamic beat of earth-shattering future James Brown drummer John "Jabo" Starks.