Count Basie Octet

Dr. Rat

I've always been intrigued by this group because so many of the players are favorites of mine (Chaloff, DeFranco, Terry, Rouse . . .), but I've never come across what looked to me to be a well-done reissue of their stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the band's music (which I've heard little of) or particular reissues of it.

Thanks for any help,

--eric

Soundies were sort of videos of the day, short films of bands that were actually in a sort of film-jukebox as well as used to open feature films, etc.

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/collections/Pro...s/soundies.html

Wasn't FDR's son James involved with them in some business way?

Ah, yes. Just followed your link, Lon, which confirmed it! I love the Duke soundie of "C Jam Blues," where the musicians come into the room one by one... one of my faves. Used a soundie of "Bli-Blip" for the Jump for Joy special, too.

Edited by ghost of miles

These Basie soundies (with Clark Terry, Wardell Gray, de Franco, etc.) also featured a singer by the name of Billie Holiday!

And de Franco who recorded the soundtrack did not appear on film because of his color and was replaced by Marshall Royal. Those were 'enlightened' days...

Yes, there are a couple of tracks with Billie (and Sugar Chile Robinson!). God Bless the Child and Now Baby or Never. I've forgotten the genesis of these; they're out on CD/LP, but also a little tough to find. Sandy Hook Records is one source.

I recently picked up the Ocium release of the Basie Octet sessions, it also includes a session from 1949 with Gene Ammons and Georgie Auld. I have had most of this music on vinyl since the '70's, the octet material with Wardell Gray is some of my favorite and among the 1st 100 or so lp's I ever bought. That said I would note that the transfers on the Ocium release were, to me, dissappointing. Several sounded as if they had been dubbed from vinyl. I swear my copies on Columbia and Tax have less surface noise.

Edited by Tom in RI

All of the soundies-recordings coupled with some live dates are readily available on this disc recently reissued by Saga Jazz:

57.jpg

I posted the discography of it in this thread earlier.

Here it is again:

Then I just picked up "Count Basie Septet & Octet - On Film & Live". This has the following tracks:

Hollywood, late August 1950: Clark Terry - t, Buddy DeFranco - cl, Wardell Gray - ts, Basie - p, Freddie Green - g, Jimmy Lewis - b, Gus Johnson - d, Billie Holiday - voc (-1)

GOD BLESS THE CHILD (-1)

NOW, BABY, OR NEVER (-1)

FELANGES

ONE O'CLOCK JUMP

Universal film shots, directed by Wil Cowan.

NYC, prob. October 1950: same personnel, Holiday out, Helen Humes - voc (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

BASIE'S CONVERSATION (BASS CONVERSATION)

BASIE BOOGIE

IF I COULD BE WITH YOU (-1)

I CRIED FOR YOU (-1)

Snader Telescriptions (short films)

NYC, poss. December 1950: unidentified - t, Marshall Royal - cl, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson

3:15 A.M. BLUES

DONNA LEE

C JAM BLUES

ROBBINS' NEST

Live recording, unknown broadcast location

NYC, April 20, 1951: Terry, Royal, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson, poss. Symphony Sid - mc

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

MOVE

BASIE BOOGIE

BLUEBEARD BLUES

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

(Note: Bluebeard Blues is announced by the MC as Golden Bullet)

Stars on Parade, WNEW Broadcast

Birdland, NYC April 28, 1951: same personnel as April 21, add Buck Clayton - t (-1), omit Sid

JUMPIN' AT THE WOODSIDE

HOW HIGH THE MOON / ORNITHOLOGY

OH, LADY BE GOOD (-1)

BLUEBEARD BLUES (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

WNEW Broadcast

This is a very good collection. Some of the tunes (from the live sessions) are quite long. How High The Moon Clock in at 8:42. Wardell Gray is BAAD! And DeFranco, Terry, Royal are not bad either.

It's quite intriguing to hear Basie doing tunes as Move, Ornithology, or Donna Lee.

Check it out!

In the liner notes, another Basie "CD featuring all the other studio recordings of the Count's small groups in 1950-1951" is announced.

So, does this disc above include all live / movie dates by Basie from 50/51?

My question at the end is still unanswered, by the way.

ubu

• 1 year later...

These Basie soundies (with Clark Terry, Wardell Gray, de Franco, etc.) also featured a singer by the name of Billie Holiday!

And de Franco who recorded the soundtrack did not appear on film because of his color and was replaced by Marshall Royal. Those were 'enlightened' days...

Those items are not soundies but part of a (I think) Universal short film which featured the octet plus Billie plus some stuff with a child prodigy piano player whose name I now forget. The numbers with Lady Day are available on a Lazer disc which looks pretty good. The whole thing is on a new DVD of pretty well every known piece Billie Holiday on film though the stuff with the kid is in pretty bad shape.

I've got the DVD at home and will add the information when I get there.

Edited by medjuck

I saw these short films and other soundies, too, last year. The part with Billie is giving you goose bumps! The part with the child prodigy is - well, mildly put - ridiculous, and in fact, very sad, I think - that kid was told to behave like a cute little ape or something...