Jazz trumpeter Hino attacks schoolboy drummer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Terumasa.

And the usual transliteration is bushido.

Even as an Asian/Pacific Islander who frequently aligns with progressive causes, I'm not really keyed into outrage culture and think there are bigger priorities that demand attention, but if I never saw samurai delicatessen again, it wouldn't be too soon. 

12 hours ago, ep1str0phy said:

Even as an Asian/Pacific Islander who frequently aligns with progressive causes, I'm not really keyed into outrage culture and think there are bigger priorities that demand attention, but if I never saw samurai delicatessen again, it wouldn't be too soon. 

What is "outrage culture"? 

11 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Motohiko Hino died of cancer in 1999. He was a superb drummer. Q

Wow...did not know that he had passed that long ago. My bad. First heard him on Joe Henderson In Japan and was delighted to catch him live with Joe at Sweet Basil (or Fat Tuesday...memory is starting to slip) but yeah, he was indeed superb. Him and Joe were locked in all night.

21 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Terumasa.

I'm sure he wouldn't be upset at Teramisu. His former band-mates in the Asian Jazz All-Stars Power Quartet have a tuine called Teramisu, dedicated to him.

But if anyone feels 'triggered', I do apologize.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/on-the-road-with-the-asian-jazz-all-stars-power-quartet-jeremy-monteiro-by-ian-patterson.php?page=1

13 hours ago, ep1str0phy said:

That was a pun on "lost his shit". Lost his bushito....get it?:D  Again, if anyone feels particularly 'triggered', I do apologize. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow...did not know that he had passed that long ago. My bad. First heard him on Joe Henderson In Japan and was delighted to catch him live with Joe at Sweet Basil (or Fat Tuesday...memory is starting to slip) but yeah, he was indeed superb. Him and Joe were locked in all night.

So...how about this: at the concert Terumasa had a sudden flashback of his little brother Motohiko pounding on the drum set non-stop, and, in a state of great distress, converted that memory into the altercation with the kid drummer. Any Freudian analysts here, who can put it into proper terms?

7 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

"Triggered"? 

What the hell are you talking about?

There's an enclave on the left--one which I do inhabit rather frequently--that is eager, and maybe overeager, to protest microagressions. I feel like a lot of the proportional response to this phenomenon has something to do with trying to dismiss or diffuse what is perceived as oversensitivity, so we bandy about terms like triggered and outrage culture to further entrench ourselves in given behaviors. 

I do wonder whether most of the dialogue regarding cultural representation and misrepresentation is of secondary value in a political climate where lives are (literally) at risk. As someone who works very often in Asian-American jazz circles, I'm attuned to the intersection between the musical work and the cultural work, and while a big part of me respects Terumasa as a trumpet player (even as I question his actions in this instance), the other part of me is thinking, "how long in this thread before there's some kind of racialized pun?" So while I wasn't disappointed in this instance, I can also acknowledge the relative harmlessness of dad humor in an era where an ill-timed protest means either avoiding my local market or being prepared to engage in active self-defense.

I know this isn't a political forum so I'll stop there and hope I'm understood--otherwise, hey, find me elsewhere or let's take it to PMs.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I joked early on in this thread whether the young drummer in question was rushing or dragging, but for the record -- I thought the kind of abuse depicted in Whiplash was pretty despicable, and I recall being pretty disgusted by it in the theater (despite what were obviously some really great performances onscreen).

Having seen the video (such as it is), it's a little disturbing as well.  But without more facts, I'm not one to make a complete equivalence between Hino's perhaps(?) isolated behavior, and the deeply fucked up 'mind-games' shit going on in Whiplash.

More than anything, though, I realize my own opinion matters little -- and so I tend to reserve judgment somewhat in most instances, realizing there's quite a range of possible reasons for thing, anywhere from more "more mild that it appears" all the way to "totally nefarious" -- so it's just simplest to assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Doesn't excuse the behavior, nor is it ever "right" (so I'm not suggesting it is here, just because I've got a heap-ton of insanely great Hino dates from his younger days).  Hell, I've got more artists who I own a disproportionate shit-ton of music by, who were clearly more than just capable of not treating their fellow man (or woman) with anywhere near as much decency as they deserve.  I try not to apologize for their behavior either, but neither can I easily ignore their brilliance in other areas.

Life's complicated, yo, and so's people -- some way more than others -- and some way uglier than others too.  Just exactly HOW ugly this particular incident was, and whether it was representative of a pattern of behavior (or not), is something I'm not likely to ever know (nor any of us, probably).  I don't reserve all judgement, but I think it's healthy to try and reserve as much as my distance from the situation (and lack of knowledge of the facts) would seem to suggest is prudent.

My two cents, FWIW.