Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbandrecord

LF : Sam Rivers Mosaic

78 posts in this topic

Looking for Sam Rivers Mosaic 3 CD version set......yes I found 24 of them on Discogs(9), Amazon(12), and EBay(3) but all of them are WAY overpriced(I'm talking 2 to 3 times overpriced), especially considering the non-scarcity of this set and some of the recent ebay AUCTION(not Buy it Now) ending prices and median Discogs  price  Would like to get one for reasonable price if possible.

Thankx

Edited by bigbandrecord

First off, you need to tell us what you are willing to pay for this set. I imagine that there are many of us on this board that have it and we're not all going to message you with a price we'd be willing to sell it for.

Secondly, the current asking prices on discogs don't seem that far off from eBay's recent sales prices. You might have seen one or two sell for less, but there are always sets that get sold on eBay for less than they're worth. Those are called "steals" for a reason. :)

It looks like the set is going for around $100 right now.

And Scott, you know that your post is a no-no here on these forums. I would delete it if I were you.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

First off, you need to tell us what you are willing to pay for this set. I imagine that there are many of us on this board that have it and we're not all going to message you with a price we'd be willing to sell it for.

Secondly, the current asking prices on discogs don't seem that far off from eBay's recent sales prices. You might have seen one or two sell for less, but there are always sets that get sold on eBay for less than they're worth. Those are called "steals" for a reason. :)

It looks like the set is going for around $100 right now.

And Scott, you know that your post is a no-no here on these forums. I would delete it if I were you.

I've never seen anybody on here post a buying price for an item they were looking for so I didn't post as I didn't think it was the thing to do on this board or necessary, but 100.00 is still TOO MUCH beings there's a glut(24) of these on the market(seems like a new one gets listed on discogs every week)  I guess I'll just wait then.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Even for OOP material? 

yep.

Wouldn't part with mine at any price - Sam signed it.:)

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

yep.

Cool. Deleted. 

I thought OOP was fair game. 

3 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

I've never seen anybody on here post a buying price for an item they were looking for so I didn't post as I didn't think it was the thing to do on this board or necessary, but 100.00 is still TOO MUCH beings there's a glut(24) of these on the market(seems like a new one gets listed on discogs every week)  I guess I'll just wait then.

It's a fantastic set, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it either. Over $33 per disc? That's just silly. 

Not in the open, public forums.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Cool. Deleted. 

I thought OOP was fair game. 

It's a fantastic set, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it either. Over $33 per disc? That's just silly. 

This seems to be the only OOP mosaic set where there's a ton of them out there and the selling prices are just silly....a lot of new ones too being offered, especially on amazon......the mosaic select Rivers in contrast you only see 1 or 2 at a time if that and discogs has zero.   Well it's not something I have to have right away.

My copy of the box is redundant, ever since I got the SHM CD issue of A New Conception 2-3 years ago (plus I've had conns of the first two dates, and the McMaster of the 4th one for eons).

I'd be glad to give it away to a good home, in exchange for a confirmed $100 donation to Jim for server-costs for keeping this board going.

2 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

This seems to be the only OOP mosaic set where there's a ton of them out there and the selling prices are just silly....a lot of new ones too being offered, especially on amazon......the mosaic select Rivers in contrast you only see 1 or 2 at a time if that and discogs has zero.   Well it's not something I have to have right away.

If you simply want to,hear it in the meantime, three of the four albums that make up that set are available on Apple Music. I think you can still get a three month free trial with them. A New Conception is the only one not available, for some strange reason. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

If you simply want to,hear it in the meantime, three of the four albums that make up that set are available on Apple Music. I think you can still get a three month free trial with them. A New Conception is the only one not available, for some strange reason. 

All the material is available to listen to on you tube, even the New Conception album.

On 9/2/2017 at 9:08 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

My copy of the box is redundant, ever since I got the SHM CD issue of A New Conception 2-3 years ago (plus I've had conns of the first two dates, and the McMaster of the 4th one for eons).

I'd be glad to give it away to a good home, in exchange for a confirmed $100 donation to Jim for server-costs for keeping this board going.

Does your set have the replacement disc 2?

Edit: Disc 1 was re-done, not disc 2.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan
error in original post

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Wait. What?

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Yeah, what?

Not aware there were ever any problems w/ the Rivers BN box. -- ???

If you ordered it on release, or even shortly after release, disc 1 has a section where there's some sibilant notes on one or two tunes. They heard about it, had Ron McMaster remaster it and they sent out replacement discs. I still have both so when I get back home tomorrow, I can tell you the matrix numbers on each of them.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan
It was disc 1 with an error not disc 2.

I think I got my set later (just looked in my box for the receipt, and it was dated 3/18/97 - I'll have to look as to when it first came out, but I'm pretty sure it had been out a couple years).

More importantly, I'd completely forgotten (and just discovered moments ago) that I'd apparently gotten Sam to autograph my Mosaic booklet for the set (when I saw him play in Topeka ~10 years ago) - in addition to signing my Conn of 'Fuchsia' - the latter of which I definitely remembered).

Of course that now changes my calculus on donating the proceeds to the board, of (me) just giving away the set.

I usually only ever get TWO autographs when I see people (two max), and never more - after having witnessed an occasional fan literally having musicians sign 15-20 albums or CD booklets.

Saw poor Bobby Hitcherson sign every single BN leader-date he ever did, all on vinyl, after a show at the Folly in KC in the early 2000's. And John Scofield sign 25+ CD booklets after an outdoor festival date in KC, including seemingly every sideman date they the guy wanting the autographs owned.)

Anyway, maybe I'd keep the booklet then, and donate the proceeds from just the CD's (and box) to the board. Have to think about that.

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think I got my set later (just looked in my box for the receipt, and it was dated 3/18/97 - I'll have to look as to when it first came out, but I'm pretty sure it had been out a couple years).

More importantly, I'd completely forgotten (and just discovered moments ago) that I'd apparently gotten Sam to autograph my Mosaic booklet for the set (when I saw him play in Topeka ~10 years ago) - in addition to signing my Conn of 'Fuchsia' - the latter of which I definitely remembered).

Of course that now changes my calculus on donating the proceeds to the board, of (me) just giving away the set.

I usually only ever get TWO autographs when I see people (two max), and never more - after having witnessed an occasional fan literally having musicians sign 15-20 albums or CD booklets.

Saw poor Bobby Hitcherson sign every single BN leader-date he ever did, all on vinyl, after a show at the Folly in KC in the early 2000's. And John Scofield sign 25+ CD booklets after an outdoor festival date in KC, including seemingly every sideman date they the guy wanting the autographs owned.)

Anyway, maybe I'd keep the booklet then, and donate the proceeds from just the CD's (and box) to the board. Have to think about that.

The set was released in 1996 but I don't know the exact date......

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If you ordered it on release, or even shortly after release, disc 2 has a section where there's some sibilance on one or two tunes. They heard about it, had Ron McMaster remaster it and they sent out replacement discs. I still have both so when I get back home tomorrow, I can tell you the matrix numbers on each of them.

maybe that's why it's going for so much.....it's being looked upon as 4 CDS by sellers that are not in the know but have on consignment those sets that have both discs.

Is $100 a lot for a collectible? I can see why you might not want to pay that, but it doesn't seem exaggerated. 

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Is $100 a lot for a collectible? I can see why you might not want to pay that, but it doesn't seem exaggerated. 

There's an awful lot(24) of them out there compared to other OOP mosaic sets so 33.33 per CD is a lot, although the fact that there is a replacement disc for disc 2 involved making it 4 discs might explain why it's going for more than it should as consignment people are looking at it as 4 discs.  That also adds a whole new wrinkle because you have people that might have bought this early on just to sit on it and the discs are still sealed and they never got a replacement disc because they wouldn't have known there was anything wrong to begin with, so now you got a partially defective set that your paying big money for.

Edited by bigbandrecord

Sorry, but $100 for a three CD set is an outrage, I don't care how rare it is. 

Well, $48 in 1996 is about $75 at today's prices, plus shipping. 

I'm not seeing you guys selling your Mosaics at 'reasonable' prices... ;);)

You son't see me selling my Mosaics. And even if I did it would certainly be for no more than I originally paid for it.