Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbandrecord

LF : Sam Rivers Mosaic

78 posts in this topic

There is a copy for sale at Josey's Records in Kansas City for $200.00.

A lot of the mosaics being offered in discogs, amazon, ebay etc are consignment pieces.

7 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Sorry, but $100 for a three CD set is an outrage, I don't care how rare it is. 

And this one is by no means rare.   Should be going for about  $60-65 USD IMHO.  

Hasn't Mr Cuscuna (bluenotesound) been selling is one on ebay? His prices have been very reasonable for mint condition, low numbered sets.

Just had a look at my box set & I have two copies of disc 1 plus a letter from Mosaic - I'd totally forgotten about this (I'd) placed the old disc & letter under the black plastic inner liner

Old (faulty) disc matrix 724381918326D1

Replacement disc matrix 724381918326D1RE1

Must have gotten mine after the replacements were being included. Mine has the "RE1" (corrected) disc.

If somebody wants to give me $500.00 to find one for, like, $75.00, that's a deal I'll make right now.

6 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Must have gotten mine after the replacements were being included. Mine has the "RE1" (corrected) disc.

Pretty sure that was the case with mine. I've certainly had no issues with any of the disks.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

If somebody wants to give me $500.00 to find one for, like, $75.00, that's a deal I'll make right now.

Make it $600....

:lol:

Oh, so this is how it's gonna be,eh:

$1000.00 - cash - and I'll find you one for$37.50 - shipped anywhere in the world!!!!!

11 hours ago, romualdo said:

Just had a look at my box set & I have two copies of disc 1 plus a letter from Mosaic - I'd totally forgotten about this (I'd) placed the old disc & letter under the black plastic inner liner

Old (faulty) disc matrix 724381918326D1

Replacement disc matrix 724381918326D1RE1

Yeah, I just got home and found the note too. It is Disc 1 that was re-done due to a mastering error.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, Hot Ptah said:

There is a copy for sale at Josey's Records in Kansas City for $200.00.

And another one just listed(that makes 26 copies available total on amazon discogs and ebay) on Discogs for $150.00........like a said at least one or two every week.

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

And another one just listed(that makes 26 copies available total on amazon discogs and ebay) on Discogs for $150.00........like a said at least one or two every week.

I believe either you seriously want to have the music, then you should handle/swallow the "market price" (obviously if feasible based on your financial situation) .... but I don`t see any value in yourself complaining that the market is not moving in the direction you personally would prefer ....

RE1 here as well. Phew. Otherwise I'd have to pop it up on ebay at $120 and hope nobody would notice...

On 9/4/2017 at 0:47 AM, sidewinder said:

Hasn't Mr Cuscuna (bluenotesound) been selling is one on ebay? His prices have been very reasonable for mint condition, low numbered sets.

He's got 4 listed at $119.99: https://www.ebay.com/sch/bluenotesound/m.html?item=302436353347&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562. He's got other sets priced even higher (per disc), so $100 for this might not be a bad price in the current market.

BTW, there's one with a dented box for $79.99 on Amazon right now. There's your steal of the day! :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

16 hours ago, soulpope said:

I believe either you seriously want to have the music, then you should handle/swallow the "market price" (obviously if feasible based on your financial situation) .... but I don`t see any value in yourself complaining that the market is not moving in the direction you personally would prefer ....

What market are you talking about.....I want an explanation as to why the most available. glutted out OOP Mosaic set is being listed for such outrageous prices all of the sudden.....I know this set was going for 60-65 dollars about a year ago(in fact discogs median price is at 65.00..   I was looking at the individual cd's that comprise this set about a month ago,  then I thought it would be nice to have the Mosaic.  Well forget it....I am done...I'll wait......It's not something I want that bad anyway. Good riddance.

Edited by bigbandrecord

Why the aggressiveness? Discussion about the price of a particular set of CDs certainly doesn't merit this.

2 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

What market are you talking about.....I want an explanation as to why the most available. glutted out OOP Mosaic set is being listed for such outrageous prices all of the sudden.....I know this set was going for 60-65 dollars about a year ago(in fact discogs median price is at 65.00..   I was looking at the individual cd's that comprise this set about a month ago,  then I thought it would be nice to have the Mosaic.  Well forget it....I am done...I'll wait......It's not something I want that bad anyway. Good riddance.

I'm talking about the market where goods are offered based on demand. Countless CD's you could buy for a pittance not too long ago have insane price increases within a short time frame. Owners try to capitalize increasingly in regard of this surge. That's the market and reality I'm talking about .... and there is - from today's perspective - no way back ....

Edited by soulpope

Still doesn't make it any less ridiculous, which I'm thinking is his point. 

I tend to believe making a point once is in most cases sufficient ....

Isn't it fairly normal that replies are given (even if this means making a point AGAIN) if the point made before is refuted or dismissed outright - as if those who made the point had no right making their point? Hard to take, you know ...

While I am not in the market for anything like Sam Rivers I tend to sympathize with those who find this case of price inflation of Mosaic sets (or whatever may be "hip" to be put up for sale at ripoff rates - for whatever reason) to be just plain ridiculous - at best - or even disgusting.

This may not prevent anybody from selling at outrageous prices but who knows ... stating often enough that "we know that you who sells at this outrageous price are ripping off people" might just kindle the fire a little bit under sombebody's ass out there ... and even if not, it sometimes helps to let off steam and soothe the souls of those who feel they are being ripped off .. Just human and therefore part of reality too, you know. :lol:

I can TELL you from other fields of collection that word about what is a fair price (i.e. not necessarily "low") and how and where to be extra watchful as a potential buyer about forces at work at the sellers' end that try to push up asking prices DOES get around and every now and then DOES have the effect of buyers starting to think twice about what to pay and when to look elsewhere, if only because above a certain level you get the distinct feel of paying too much. And this is in a field where the item to be bought is not just some "nice to have" item.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Quite in the contrary I tend believe raising the same topic recurringly will not result in a price decrease .... furthermore the feedback given here is (also) "the market" - and the only offer I've encountered in this thread was USD 100 .... as a longtime collector let me confirm this passion can be partially frustrating too - but to ALL of us  .... 

PS Two out of three Rivers Blue Notes were - actually not too long ago - widely available as japanese SHM-CD's resulting here in a months long thread whether their sound is excellent or not - the buyer interested in the music bought the CD's for approx USD 12 each .... today these are high priced collectors items - so again, also we as Organissimo Board are "the market" ....

Edited by soulpope

We are part of the market, not more, not less. And like I said, of course it is far from sure discussing things like this in public will see the market prices go down. But there are times when it helps to just let off steam. And discussing such inflationary tendencies WILL make at least SOME people aware of what they are up against and become cautious. And the more there are who think twice the less likely it is that inflationary tendencies will go on unabated - because people are a bit less prone to snapping up just anything at any price.

But brushing off such discussions in a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude certainly doesn't help matters either.

So why not just let Bigbandrecord rant for as long as he feels like it, and if you don't agree then why not skip it over if you find it redundant? (Remember -  " I tend to believe making a point once is in most cases sufficient .... " ^_^)

(BTW - OTOH, haven't there been threads here about what many felt to be a clear SLUMP in the prices fetched by Mosaic on the secondhand market? ^_^ So what is there that remains stable forever?)

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

We are part of the market, not more, not less. And like I said, of course it is far from sure discussing things like this in public will see the market prices go down. But there are times when it helps to just let off steam. And discussing such inflationary tendencies WILL make at least SOME people aware of what they are up against and become cautious. And the more there are who think twice the less likely it is that inflationary tendencies will go on unabated - because people are a bit less prone to snapping up just anything at any price.

But brushing off such discussions in a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude certainly doesn't help matters either.

So why not just let Bigbandrecord rant for as long as he feels like it, and if you don't agree then why not skip it over if you find it redundant? (Remember -  " I tend to believe making a point once is in most cases sufficient .... " ^_^)

(BTW - OTOH, haven't there been threads here about what many felt to be a clear SLUMP in the prices fetched by Mosaic on the secondhand market? ^_^ So what is there that remains stable forever?)

Well at least I said in MOST and not in ALL cases :D .....

Steve - your obvious reluctance to pay over a certain amount brings me back to my first point in this thread - What are you willing to pay? If you would simply state this, you might have already found one here. :)

My feeling on this is that the market is just that - the market. If the market is saying the set's current value is $100, it's worth $100. There's nothing perspective buyers can do to change that. Only the current sellers can. You or me not buying a copy just means that someone else will have to buy it. The price will stay ~$100 until no one buys one at that price. However, if people buy up all the currently available sets, the price can go up too. That's how the free market works.

BTW, this box used to sell for a lot more than $100 just a few years ago. The market goes up & down all the time. How do we know if all of the current sellers are now offering this box at a loss? We don't what these sellers paid.

Then this thread has this secondary topic about how selling something for a lot of money that you bought at a low price is somehow a bad thing. Isn't this exactly why many (all?) music buyers buy some CDs & LPs they find on a record store shelf? Haven't all of you found a CD or LP in a used bin and thought "Wow, this sucker is worth way more than this. I should buy it and put it up for sale"? I know I have. Not as often today as in the past with the shrinking market, but I'll still buy a disc or two to re-sell.

Seriously, I have to ask, who would ever walk into a record store, see a wall full of Mosaic boxes priced at $10.00 each and 1) Not buy all of them to sell on line and 2) sell them for $10.00? I'm guessing that the answer would be "Not a single one of us". :)