2017 NFL Season

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree with JuJu Smith-Schuster's suspension at all. And don't get me wrong, I hate the Steelers. But what was he supposed to do there? The ball is live, he knows that the runner is right next to him, he sees a potential tackler approach, who unfortunately, is not looking at him, he turns his shoulder and braces for the block but right as he's turning his shoulder, the tackler lowers his head for the tackle.

What else could Smith-Schuster have done here? Was he supposed to actively monitor that the tackler sees him? Was he then supposed to just wave him by?

I'm sorry, but this rule change has created a major penalty for a very good block.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I don't agree with JuJu Smith-Schuster's suspension at all. And don't get me wrong, I hate the Steelers. But what was he supposed to do there? The ball is live, he knows that the runner is right next to him, he sees a potential tackler approach, who unfortunately, is not looking at him, he turns his shoulder and braces for the block but right as he's turning his shoulder, the tackler lowers his head for the tackle.

What else could Smith-Schuster have done here? Was he supposed to actively monitor that the tackler sees him? Was he then supposed to just wave him by?

I'm sorry, but this rule change has created a major penalty for a very good block.

But he's not supposed to then stand over the guy and taunt him. Even Mike Tomlin said that was way wrong for him to do.

Sashi Brown is out in Cleveland. GREAT move by Haslam!Ā 

"We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of theĀ Cleveland Browns."

Um, yeah... Someone with strong experience and success should usually be of primary concern... At least the "moneyball" experience in the NFL is over.Ā 

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Sashi Brown is out in Cleveland. GREAT move by Haslam!Ā 

"We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of theĀ Cleveland Browns."

Um, yeah... Someone with strong experience and success should usually be of primary concern... At least the "moneyball" experience in the NFL is over.Ā 

I believe that Paul DePodesta ofĀ Moneyball fame is still on the payroll, so analytics will continue to play a part in the team's personnel decisions.Ā  Sashi Brown made a lot of major mistakes (e.g., passing on Carson Wentz, drafting and otherwise acquiring an awful receiving corps, etc.), but he did draft some quality young talent and accrued draft capital that will make the next (and hopefully competent) GM's job easier.

Edited by Justin V

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Of course not. But that is no cause for suspension. If it were, there'd be a hell of a lot more players out each week.Ā 

Ā 

Yes, that's what Troy Vincent said --Ā that is was the hit, not the suspension. But I'mĀ  thinking that the real reasons for this and some other suspensions are whatever the heck the NFL feels about the incident, not what it says about it.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

I believe that Paul DePodesta ofĀ Moneyball fame is still on the payroll, so analytics will continue to play a part in the team's personnel decisions.Ā  Sashi Brown made a lot of major mistakes (e.g., passing on Carson Wentz, drafting and otherwise acquiring an awful receiving corps, etc.), but he did draft some quality young talent and accrued draft capital that will make the next (and hopefully competent) GM's job easier.

Eh, I get the feeling DePodesta is next on the chopping block. I knew moneyball wouldn't work in the NFL, and I think it's only a matter of time before he takes his talents back to baseball where they actually belong.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Yes, that's what Troy Vincent said --Ā that is was the hit, not the suspension. But I'mĀ  thinking that the real reasons for this and some other suspensions are whatever the heck the NFL feels about the incident, not what it says about it.

Oh, I don't think there's any doubt about that. If one could critically look at what Gronk, Iloka, and Smith-Schuster did and see them as equal, that person should be committed to a rubber room.Ā 

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

But he's not supposed to then stand over the guy and taunt him. Even Mike Tomlin said that was way wrong for him to do.

The taunting was bad and it was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, as it rightly should have been. If they had announced his suspension as being for taunting an injured player (and was he really injured? I read that he jumped off the backboard inside the tunnel and ran into the locker room), I could probably get a bit behind a suspension.

But that's not how they announced it. To suspend a guy for a block that was considered a "great block" only a year ago... I don't get it. Besides that, if you read the new rule, "incidental" contact with the head or facemask is still legal.

FWIW, they also announced that this hit was a "blindside hit". WTF? The block was *directly in his path*! The only blindness involved was Burfict for not looking where he was running.

This new interpretation means that any player who looks away from an oncoming block is being blindsided. I can see some teams using this interpretation to their advantage. Need 15 yards and an automatic first down? Look away from a defender and run into him. Boom. Free yards.

I still don't agree with the suspension.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

After work tonight, I'm walking down the street to seeĀ the Falcons vs. the Saints in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

If the Falcons don't win tonight, their already slim chances of making the playoffs will be O-V-E-R.Ā 

They have their work cut out for them. The Saints are playing great ball right now.

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

They have their work cut out for them. The Saints are playing great ball right now.

Yeah.Ā  I've been amazed at how well the Saints have played this year.Ā  After they opened the season 0-2, I'd written them off.Ā  Big mistake.

I'm not surprised that the offense has been so prolific -- with Drew Brees and those two RBs.Ā  It's their defense that's been so shocking. Their D hasĀ been historically bad over the last few years.Ā  But not this year.

I don't see the Falcons winning unless they can put up 32Ā points or more.Ā  That's a tall order.