2017 NFL Season

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree it was the most boring Super Bowl of all time.  You could have the same difference in scores in one of those 'all offense no defense" games but those boil down to "can we get the ball back one last time?" when it seems inevitable that the offenses can't be stopped.

Here the Patriots were clearly playing better but every single possession, the Rams were one defensive breakdown away from taking the lead. Very edge-of-your-seat, not boring, if you ask me.

Anyway I have a serious question for NFL fans:

When did the rules change about an out-of-bounds stopping the clock?  Is it different under two minutes remaining?  Twice I noticed a Patriot receiver going out of bounds, the clock was stopped, but when the ball was spotted, clock started again! WTFH?  I could not believe it.  What a dumb rule, whenever they adopted that.

It was a convenient game. I was not particularly motivated to watch, so casually turning it on after halftime and seeing 3-0 was like, oh, cool, guess I didn't miss all that much,. glad I got that other stuff done.

And them, yeah, good game. As with pitcher's duels in baseball, tension builds when teams don't score.

28 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I disagree it was the most boring Super Bowl of all time.  You could have the same difference in scores in one of those 'all offense no defense" games but those boil down to "can we get the ball back one last time?" when it seems inevitable that the offenses can't be stopped.

Here the Patriots were clearly playing better but every single possession, the Rams were one defensive breakdown away from taking the lead. Very edge-of-your-seat, not boring, if you ask me.

When did the rules change about an out-of-bounds stopping the clock?  Is it different under two minutes remaining?  Twice I noticed a Patriot receiver going out of bounds, the clock was stopped, but when the ball was spotted, clock started again! WTFH?  I could not believe it.  What a dumb rule, whenever they adopted that.

The clock doesn't start until the snap of the ball inside of 2 minutes in the first half, and inside of 5 minutes in the second half. I didn't notice them run the clock under two minutes, but if they did, it was incorrect clock management. 

17 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

2008. Yes.

Holy shit its been 11 years?  OK so everybody is used to it but that doesn't mean it makes a lick of sense. You already have a game ruled by a clock. Who needs it sped up?  How many end-of-half drives never happened because of the cumulative loss of clock time for the first 28 minutes of the half?  Dumb dumb dumb.

So, when exactly did they switch to 4:30 or 4:15 late-game start times? Because I can only assume they adopted this rule because too many broadcasts were bleeding into the second game of the day, and a slightly later start time makes a helluva lot more sense.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

So, when exactly did they switch to 4:30 or 4:15 late-game start times? Because I can only assume they adopted this rule because too many broadcasts were bleeding into the second game of the day, and a slightly later start time makes a helluva lot more sense.

I always assumed it was to accommodate greater ad volume.

As Scott noted, the clock only stays stopped for an out of bounds play with under 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and under 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

It's Rule 4.3.2.a. From http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_Rule4_Game_Timing.pdf

Scrimmage Down

Article 2

Following any timeout (3-36), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is next snapped, except in the following situations:

(a) Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game clock, except that the clock will start on the snap

(1) after a change of possession;

(2) after the two-minute warning of the first half;

or

(3) inside the last five minutes of the second half.

And what precisely was the rationale stated?  Games that only have sixty minutes of "action" should have as little action as possible so we can get them over with?  Does anyone doubt that there would be more scores at the end of a half or opportunities for such if the old rules were kept? The least they could have done is made the rules the same for both halfs and have the clock stop with five minutes left, period.

And what precisely was the rationale stated?  Games that only have sixty minutes of "action" should have as little action as possible so we can get them over with?  Does anyone doubt that there would be more scores at the end of a half or opportunities for such if the old rules were kept? The least they could have done is made the rules the same for both halfs and have the clock stop with five minutes left, period.

What was the old rule? I’ve been watching the NFL since 1978. As far as I remember, the old rule was from the two minute warning in both half’s. They only changed it to five minutes in the fourth quarter. But nothing changed with the two minute warnings. 

1 hour ago, Soulstation1 said:

Light one up for my boy Josh Gordon 

He doesn’t deserve a SB ring 

No, he doesn’t. But he also doesn’t deserve to be made fun of. Addiction is a horrendous disease. 

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That's the one thing I've come to appreciate about soccer - stoppage time after regulation runs out.

If I were to watch sports on TV (I gave up TV at home years ago), it would be big-time int'l soccer. No commercial interruptions, the entire game is generally over in 2 hours. Only problem I have with the sport is that the importance of penalties leads to excessive embellishment/diving in the penalty area, especially at the highest levels (e.g. World Cup).

After some time away from TV, I find it impossible to watch football/baseball due to game length and commercials. Still consider NHL and NBA watchable to a degree. Hoops borders on unwatchability due to the absurd amount of elapsed time required to play the last 2 minutes of a game.

Edited by T.D.