• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, jlhoots said:

All Aaron Rodgers, all of the time!!

Local sports anchor yesterday cracked me up, talking about how the Real News story is that the Cowboys D just didn't play good enough, while the Fake News story was that the Cowboys O didn't manage the clock well enough.

Losing to the Rams like that, I think (no, I know) you gotta go with the Real News story, but hell, Aaron Rodgers, that shit will happen, period.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Is he related to Tom Curran? He covers the Patriots for NBC Sports in Boston. 

No idea, but not implausible, not in the least.

I would recommend that book though, just because it might be hard today to imagine just how, uh...."entrepreneurial" the AFL was on its way to forcing the merger. The beauty of it is that it was originally written in 1965, so the story peaks with the signing of Joe Namath, the AFL winning a bidding war with the NFL that was the real "shot heard around the world" as far as expectations that the AFL wasn't going to have staying power. It's a great story, full of characters (and "characters").

That Going Long book looks like a good read. The AFL was great.

Oh, it wasn't just Al Davis. The whole bunch, players and owners, was maverick out the ass. That curran book is all about that.

I remember watching AFL starting in, like, 1965 or 1966. I was an Oilers fan because the Cowboys pissed me off back then (and even now) but also, yeah, the AFL was just more fun for me as a Beatles fan :). They openly embraced the whole long hair/rebel/youth thing up front. And the play was, generally speaking, looser and freer as well. Maybe that's nostalgia talking, but I was an AFL guy all the way, as music as a kid could be.

And besides - Lance Alworth. One of the most graceful athletes I've ever seen, regardless of sport.

No, but Al Davis was the ringleader, from what I've read. A serious thirn in Rozelle's side. 

It's actually quite sad to see what folks like Davis, Rozelle, Hunt, etc. built now being completely torn down by Goodell. 

Rozelle was vilified in his time, yet Tagliabue caused everyone to reassess. Tagliabue was vilified in his time, but Goodell caused everyone...

Rinse and repeat...

Jim, I had that Jim Norton card in '62!

I had Dick Christy's card in '61.  He was a huge star at State, and he is still mentioned in the paper every once in a while.  I remember when he was killed in a car wreck a few years later.

By the way, if Talamini was an original Oiler, then he would have been drafted in '60.